Whether you're a red or white wine drinker, choosing a wine can be overwhelming. There are so many things to consider, such as dryness, fruitiness and even woodiness, when you're looking at a rainbow of choices. And if you're standing in the liquor section of a grocery store, it's not likely that you can pop open a bottle and have a taste.
Campania's Taurasi is a notable red wine, but the region is probably best known for its whites, like Fiano di Avellino and Greco di Tufo. Keep in mind that if you choose a Taurasi, you must be patient -- they must be aged for a minimum of four years.
Consider trying some of these wines of the Campania region -- many offer flavors and aromas of the local fruits and flowers. The acronyms after each name signify regional ownership and approval.
- Lacryma Christi del Vesuvio Rosso DOC
- Baiardo Taurasi DOCG
- Monsignore Aglianico IGT Campania
- Montevetrano IGT Colli di Salerno
- Terra di Lavoro IGT Roccamonfina
If you're enamored with Campania and want to enjoy the region's wines in the countryside that produced them, put some of these popular wine estates on your travel list:
If you make the trip to Campania, you'll get the chance to enjoy the region's wine, fruits, scrumptious local dishes, and history and culture. And be sure to make a toast -- A votre santé!
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Burns, Jane. "Retailers don't feel sour grapes about returning bad wine." 77square.com. 01/14/09. (Accessed 01/24/09) http://77square.com/food/features/story_432586
- Bruzzano, Genny. "Naples: Historical Hints." (Accessed 01/24/09) http://www.inaples.it/eng/storia.htm
- Cellar Tours. "Campania Wine Travel Notes." 10/18/08. (Accessed 01/24/09) http://www.cellartours.com/blog/italy/campania-wine-travel-notes
- Delicious Italy. "Buffalo mozzarella cheese." (Accessed 01/24/09) http://www.deliciousitaly.com/prodotto.php?id=163®ione_id=4
- Delicious Italy. "Chestnuts of Montella." (Accessed 01/24/09) http://www.deliciousitaly.com/prodotto.php?id=234®ione_id=4
- Demetri, Justin. "Campania: Gateway to Southern Italy." lifeinitaly.com. (Accessed 01/24/09) http://www.lifeinitaly.com/tourism/campania
- Epstein, Becky. "Campania: modern wines from ancient grapes." wine-pages.com. 04/2003. (Accessed 01/24/09) http://www.wine-pages.com/guests/becky/campania.htm
- Field Museum. "Pompeii: Stories From an Eruption." (Accessed 01/24/09) http://www.fieldmuseum.org/pompeii/introduction.asp
- Gordan, Lucy. "The Pizza Connection." Epicurean-traveler.com. 05/01/07. (Accessed 01/24/09) http://www.epicurean- traveler.com/articles/Pizza_History_Gordan/Pizza%20History_Gordan.html
- Hyland, Tom. "Guide to Italian Wines: Campania." wineloverspage.com. 09/2008. (Accessed 01/24/09) http://www.wineloverspage.com/italwineguide/campania08.phtml
- Italian Cooking and Living. "Campania." (Accessed 01/24/09) http://www.italiancookingandliving.com/travel/destinations/campania.html
- ItalyGuides.it "Campania Region." (Accessed 01/24/09) http://www.italyguides.it/us/campania/campania_italy.htm
- Lancaster, Jordan. "In the Shadow of Vesuvius: A Cultural History of Naples." I.B. Tauris. 2005. (Accessed 01/24/09)
- Lovett, Richard A. "Huge Vesuvius Eruption Buried Town 2,000 Years Before Pompeii." National Geographic News. 03/06/06. (Accessed 01/24/09) http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/03/0306_060306_vesuvius.html
- McCarthy, Michael and Phillips, John. "Italy's toxic waste crisis, the Mafia--and the scandal of Europe's mozzarella." The Independent. 03/22/08. (Accessed 01/24/09) http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/italys-toxic-waste-crisis-the-mafia-ndash-and-the-scandal-of-europes-mozzarella-799289.html
- Moore, Malcolm. "Mass blood tests for Naples residents." The Telegraph. 01/19/08. (Accessed 01/24/09) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1575865/Mass-blood-tests-for-Naples-residents.html
- travelplan.it. "Naples Guide Italy: History and culture." (Accessed 01/24/09) http://www.travelplan.it/naples_guide_history_culture.htm
- UNESCO. "Italy." (Accessed 01/24/09) http://portal.unesco.org/geography/en/ev.php-URL_ID=2459&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html
- Winebow. "Campania: Producers from Campania." (Accessed 01/24/09) http://www.winebow.com/wine_regioninfo.asp?region=12