Wine from Central Otago is predominantly made from Pinot Noir, but the region also grows Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and Riesling. Wine varieties from Central Otago took in dozens of awards at the 2008 Air New Zealand Wine Awards. Some winners to choose from include:
- Rockburn Pinot Noir 2007
- Brennan Pinot Noir 2007
- Judge Rock Pinot Noir 2007
- Desert Heart Riesling 2007
- Elephant Hill Rosé 2008
- Lamont Pinot Gris 2008
- Misha's Vineyard "The Gallery" Gewurztraminer 2008
- Bannock Brae Estate Barrel Selection Pinot Noir 2006 [source: Air New Zealand Wine Awards]
In addition to these award winners, Central Otago is home to many wineries, including Arrow River Wine Company, Bald Hills Vineyard, Black Ridge Winery, Carrick Wines, Dry Gully Vineyard, Greylands Ridge, Hakataramea Valley Wines, Kaufman Vineyard, Mondillo Vineyards, Olssen's Garden Vineyard, Tarras Vineyards, Wooing Tree Vineyard Ltd., Zebra NZ Vineyards Ltd. And for a comprehensive list of Central Otago wineries, check out this page New Zealand Wine.
In the years to come, the Central Otago wine region is sure to continue to produce new and exciting varieties of wine, especially for those who adore Pinot Noir.
Now that you are more familiar with the region's wines, you can thoroughly enjoy many bottles from this beautiful place of extraordinary extremes. Drink up!
To learn more, visit the links on the following page.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Air New Zealand Wine Awards. "Award Winners: Otago." (Accessed 02/18/09)http://www.airnzwineawards.co.nz/search.do?endorsement=&varietal=®ion=26&vintage=&lowerPrice=&upperPrice=&awardYear=3383&availability=&q=&results=true&x=43&y=15
- Arnold, Eric. "Great Wines Under Cork And Screw Cap." Forbes. 01/29/09. (Accessed 02/19/09)http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/29/great-wines-cork-lifestyle-wine_0129_wines_cork_screw_cap.html
- Britannica online, "New Zealand - History." (Accessed 02/21/09)http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/412636/New-Zealand
- Central Otago Pinot Noir. "Our Unique Climate & Soils." (Accessed 02/19/09)http://www.centralotagopinot.co.nz/?pi_pageid=26
- Central Otago Pinot Noir. "Sub-Regions." (Accessed 02/19/09)http://www.centralotagopinot.co.nz/?pi_pageid=28
- Central Otago Pinot Noir. "The Region." (Accessed 02/19/09)http://www.centralotagopinot.co.nz/?pi_pageid=3
- Central Otago Wine Cellar. "History." (Accessed 02/21/09)http://www.otagowine.com/otagowine/history.html
- Central Otago Wine Cellar. "History Today." (Accessed 02/21/09)http://www.otagowine.com/otagowine/history_today.html
- China Wines Information Website. "Uncorking Opportunities for New Zealand Wine Producers in Hong Kong." (Accessed 02/19/09)http://www.wines-info.com/Newshtml/200902/1892009021810554181.html
- COWA. "About Cowa." (Accessed 02/19/09)http://www.cowa.org.nz/COWA.html
- Gray, Chris. "Captain Cook's little corner of Hawaii under threat from new golf course." The Independent. 11/11/00. (Accessed 02/19/09)http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/captain-cooks-little-corner-of-hawaii-under-threat-from-new-golf-course-623120.html
- Hawaii .com. "Captain Cook Monument." (Accessed 02/21/09)http://www.hawaii.com/hawaiian-information/bigisland/attractions/uniquetothebigisland/articles/801/captain_cook_monument.php
- New Zealand History. "European explorers-exploration of New Zealand." (Accessed 02/19/09)http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/culture/explorers/european-explorers
- New Zealand History. "Exploring New Zealand's Interior." (Accessed 02/19/09)http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/culture/explorers/interior-exploration
- New Zealand Wine. "Certification." (Accessed 02/19/09)http://www.nzwine.com/certification/
- New Zealand Wine. "Regions: Central Otago." (Accessed 02/19/09)http://www.nzwine.com/regions/
- New Zealand Wine. "Statistics: Producing Vineyard Area." (Accessed 02/19/09)http://www.nzwine.com/statistics/
- The Encyclopedia of New Zealand. "Central Otago." (Accessed 02/19/09)http://www.teara.govt.nz/TheBush/UnderstandingTheNaturalWorld/Ecoregions/8/en