Sponge Painting Cookies
- You will first need to prepare Royal Icing. Using only clean, uncracked Grade A eggs, beat 4 egg whites in a clean, large bowl with electric mixer at high speed until foamy. Gradually add 4 cups sifted powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of flavored extract (vanilla, lemon, peppermint, coconut, almond, etc.). Beat at high speed until thickened. Makes 2 cups icing.
- Remove one half of the icing (leaving the other half white for base icing) and divide among 2 or 3 small bowls. Tint small bowls of icing with liquid or paste food coloring. For best results, use 2 to 3 shades of the same color. (If icing is too thick, stir in water, 1 drop at a time, with spoon until slightly thickened.)
- Spread thin layer of white base icing on completely cooled plain or shaped sugar cookies to within 1/8 inch of edges with small spatula. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature or until icing is set.
Use a sponge to apply the icing.
Cut clean kitchen sponge into 1-inch squares with scissors. Use a separate sponge for each color of icing. Dip sponges into tinted icing, scraping against side of bowl to remove excess icing. Gently press sponges onto base icing several times until desired effect is achieved. Let stand 15 minutes or until icing is set.When dry, Royal Icing is very hard and resistant to damage that can occur during shipping.Hot Tip!
Piped icing is another excellent decorative tool. Find out more about it on the next page.
Not what you're looking for? Try these:
- Cookie Recipes: Find recipes on this page that run the gamut of cookie types, from bar cookies to drop cooking and everything in between.
- Baking Cookies: Baking cookies is a delicate business, so you'd be wise to take a look at the many tips outlined in this helpful article.
- How to Make Cookies: Who doesn't love a cookie? And since there are so many varieties of cookies available, it's easy to find a favorite -- or several favorites, for that matter. Learn how to make cookies at HowStuffWorks.
- Cooking: Learn the ins and outs of some basic cooking techniques in this helpful article.