Though the Emporda wine region may not be producing wine anywhere near its heyday of the 18th and 19th centuries, the region produces many white, rosé, red and sparkling wines, and among them are a number of DO (Designation of Origin) wines.
The reds of the region include:
- Granacha Tinta
- Ull de Liebre (Tempranillo)
- Cabernet Sauvignon
The red wines of the Emporda wine region are full-bodied and complex. They can have a hint of fruit or spice, and are often aged for some time. Reds make up the vast majority of Emporda's wine production, accounting for about 60 percent of the region's total wine output [source: Counsel Regulador].
Meanwhile, the whites include:
- Garnacha Blanca
The white wines are generally light, crisp and full of flavor. They often use native grapes to enhance these wines. Whites take up just less than a fifth of total production, and rosé wines fall just below them, coming in at 17 percent of total production [source: Counsel Regulador].
You're now poised to enjoy this region's winemaking renaissance. If you can't head to Emporda anytime soon, the United States is one of eight countries that take in most of the region's exports.
For more wine-related information, check out the links on the following page.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Apstein, Michael. "Catalonia: Leading the Renaissance in Spain." Wine Review Online. September 26, 2006. (Accessed 2/16/09) http://www.winereviewonline.com/ap_on_catalonia.cfm
- Counsel Regulador. "Emporda." (Accessed 2/16/09) http://www.doemporda.com/pdf/Dossierinformatiu_ENG.pdf
- Emporda Online. "Emporda Costa Brava." (Accessed 2/16/09) http://tav.net/alt-emporda/english/index.htm
- Espavino. "The Wine Region DO Emporda." (Accessed 2/16/09) http://www.espavino.com/spain_wine_region/wines_emporda_costa_brava.php
- Manfatta. "DO Emporda - the windy wine region." Tempranillo. October 28, 2008. (Accessed 2/16/09) http://www.manfatta.com/wineblog/2008/10/do-emporda-windy-wine-region.html
- Ole Imports. "Emporda - Costa Brava." (Accessed 2/16/09) http://www.oleimports.com/wines/print/empordaliaprint.pdf
- Salvador Dali Foundation. "The Dali Museums." (Accessed 2/16/09) http://www.salvador-dali.org/museus/en_index.html
- Wine Pleasures. "Emporda - Costa Brava Wine Making Region." (Accessed 2/16/09) http://www.winepleasures.com/info/emporda.shtml