Like a dice cut, a julienne is a smaller, much finer cut and takes a little bit of practice -- but once you've mastered it, it can add a decorative flash to recipes. To julienne, cut food into rectangular 1/8-inch planks. Then stack the planks on top of each other and slice lengthwise into 1/8-inch strips. If you don't have a ruler handy (and you probably won't) the best way to judge the size of your julienne is to hold up your slices against the handle of your knife. Using the rivets on the handle -- the small, round metal attachment points that keep the blade and the handle together -- each julienne should measure from one rivet to the next.
For lots more information on knives and cooking skills, see the next page.
- BBC. "Knife skills." (Feb. 9, 2009) http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/get_cooking/cooks_guide/knifeskills.shtml
- Better Homes and Gardens. "The Whys and Hows of Chopping vs. Mincing." (Dec. 29, 2011) http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/cooking-basics/the-whys-and-hows-of-chopping-vs-mincing/
- Heloise. "Removing Garlic Odor from Hands." Good Housekeeping. (Dec. 30, 2011) http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/heloise/remove-garlic-odor-aug04
- Lippert, Seen. "Knife skills: julienning vegetables." Fine Cooking. (Feb. 9, 2009) http://www.finecooking.com/articles/knife-skills-julienne.aspx
- Lynch, Marsha. "Basic knife skills." eGullet Culinary Institute. Aug. 11, 2003. (Feb. 9, 2009) http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=25958
- Petrosky, Maureen C. "How To Mince Garlic." Food Republic. May 4, 2011. (Dec. 29, 2011) http://www.foodrepublic.com/2011/05/04/how-mince-garlic
- Recipe Tips. "Tournée Cut." (Dec. 29, 2011) http://www.recipetips.com/glossary-term/t--37904/tournee-cut.asp
- Smithfield. "How to Peel Fruits and Vegetables." (Dec. 30, 2011) http://www.smithfield.com/articles/article/how-to-peel-vegetables
- Stella Culinary. "How To Chiffonade." (Dec. 30, 2011) http://www.stellaculinary.com/podcasts/video/how-chiffonade-basil
- Stella Culinary. "How to Dice, Julienne, Brunoise & Batonnet." (Dec. 29, 2011) http://www.stellaculinary.com/podcasts/video/how-dice-julienne-brunoise-batonnet
- Ward, Chad. "Knife Maintenance and Sharpening." eGullet Culinary Institute. Aug. 13, 2003. (Feb. 20, 2009) http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=26036
If you would love to eat ice cream all day, maybe you can put that desire to work as a food taster. Learn more about food tasters at HowStuffWorks.