The Hill Country Wine and Food Festival, held every April in Austin since 1986, is the state's premier wine festival. More than 9,000 people attended the four-day extravaganza in 2011, along with world-renowned vintners and chefs.
But if you can't make it to Austin in the spring, there's certainly no shortage of wine festivals all year throughout the state:
- The Hill Country Wine Trail puts on four festivals a year: Wine and Wildflower (two weekends in April), Harvest (two weekends in August and includes grape-stomping!), Texas Wine Month (October) and Holiday (three weekends in December).
- The city of Rockport, on the Gulf Coast just north of Corpus Christi, has been holding a wine and food festival -- heavy on the Texas wines -- each May since 1997.
- Also in May, San Antonio presents the Culinaria Wine and Culinary Arts Festival, featuring formal dinners, cooking classes and barbecue competitions.
- Rock out to 10 bands and sample the wares of Texas wineries at the Austin Wine and Music Festival, another May event.
- In June, members of the Way Out Wineries trail host a Summer Cook-Off Road Trip -- a certain dish is prepared at each winery (pork tenderloin in 2011), and festival-goers vote for the winner.
For more information about Texas wine, take a look at the links below.
- Blake, Cary. "Texas Wine Grape Industry Taking Root." June 11, 2009. (July 15, 2011) http://westernfarmpress.com/grapes/texas-wine-grape-industry-taking-root
- Go Texan Wine. (July 12, 2011) http://www.gotexanwine.org/
- Jennings, Diane. "Appeals Court Upholds Texas' Wine Sales System." Dallas Morning News, Jan. 27, 2010. (July 15, 2011) http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20100127-Appeals-court-upholds-Texas-wine-6545.ece
- McEachern, George Ray. "A Texas Grape and Wine History." (July 14, 2011) http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/southerngarden/Texaswine.html
- Pick Texas. "Texas Wine Grape Guide." (July 14, 2011) http://www.picktexas.com/prodcr/grapes/wg_overview.htm
- Pierce's Disease. (July 19, 2011) http://www.piercesdisease.org/
- Templer, Otis. "Grape Culture." Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association. (July 14, 2011) http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/afg02
- Texas Hill Country Wine and Food Festival. (July 14, 2011) http://texaswineandfood.org/
- Texas Hill Country Wineries. (July 12, 2011) http://www.texaswinetrail.com
- Texas Wine & Grape Growers Association. (July 12, 2011) http://www.txwines.org/
- Winegrowing Regions of Texas. (July 12, 2011) http://txwineregions.tamu.edu/