Virginia Wine Festivals
Virginia is proud of its wines. No matter what region you're visiting, you'll easily find one or more festivals celebrating local varietals.
Festivals flow with the seasons. As the vines awaken in spring, celebrations pop up all around -- at parks, conference and expo centers, hotels, historic sites, you name it. Wine tastings are combined with art, music, polo, wine education and, of course, food. Fall harvest festivals typically begin in September, and winter celebrations focus on special events to mark holidays from Thanksgiving to St. Patrick's Day.
Throughout the year, many wineries host their own unique celebrations of wine. These include summer cookouts, intimate dinners with fine wine pairings, cooking classes, winemaking demonstrations, barrel tastings, historical reenactments and open houses. Even more exciting, the celebration doesn't have to end with your visit. You can take your wine country adventure home in the form of your favorite Virginia wines.
- Fauquier County Wineries. "Mission Statement." (July 20, 2011) http://fauquierwines.com/main_pages/aboutus.html
- Piedmont Vineyards and Winery, Inc. "Piedmont Vineyards." April 1, 2010. (July 20, 2011) http://www.piedmontwines.com/
- Pearmund, Chris. Owner and executive winemaker, Pearmund Cellars. Personal Interview, July 18, 2011.
- Rowe, Walker Elliot. "Development, Sustainable Agriculture, and the Virginia Wine Business." Richmond Times Dispatch, April 22, 2008. (July 20, 2011)http://www.walkerrowe.com/2008/04/development-sustainable-agriculture-and.html
- Rye, Erik and Marcy Rye. "Virginia Varietals." Wine Guideline. Sept. 5, 2008. (July 20, 2011) http://www.wineguideline.com/features/snobgoblet/844
- Schoenfeld, Bruce. "Wine-Lover's Guide: Five Regions to Visit Now." Travel + Leisure, July 2007. (July 20, 2011) http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/wine-lovers-guide/1
- The Winery at La Grange. "Rich in History, Rich in Wine." 2011. (July 20, 2011) http://www.wineryatlagrange.com/winery.htm
- Virginia Wine. "Regions and AVAs." Virginia Wine. 2011. (July 13, 2011) http://www.virginiawine.org/regions
- Virginia Wine. "The Land of Virginia." 2011. (July 13, 2011) http://www.virginiawine.org/learn/virginia/
- Virginia Wine. "Virginia Wine Today." 2011. (July 13, 2011) http://www.virginiawine.org/learn/wine-history/
- Virginia Wine. "Wine Varieties." 2011. (July 13, 2011) http://www.virginiawine.org/learn/wine-varieties
- Virginia Wine Country. "Events." 2011. (July 20, 2011) http://virginia.winecountry.com/special_interest/current_events/dec.html
- Walker, Danielle. "Virginia's wine industry is aging well." Inside Business: Hampton Roads Business Journal. Aug. 13, 2010. (July 20, 2011) http://www.insidebiz.com/news/virginias-wine-industry-aging-well