- Divide dough in half. Roll out each half as described in Single Crust Pie method . Lightly flour surface and rolling pin. Roll dough in short strokes, starting in middle of disk and rolling out toward edge. Rotate dough 1/4 turn to right. Sprinkle more flour under dough and on rolling pin as necessary to prevent sticking. Continue to roll and rotate dough 2 to 3 more times.
- Roll dough into circle 1/8-inch thick and at least 1 inch larger than inverted pie plate.
- Transfer bottom crust to pie plate as described in Single Crust Pie method. Place rolling pin on one side of dough. Gently roll dough over rolling pin once. Carefully lift rolling pin and dough. Unroll dough over pie plate. Ease dough into pie plate with fingertips. Do not stretch dough. Trim edge even with edge of pie plate.
- Add desired filling to unbaked pie crust. Moisten edge of crust with water.
- Place rolling pin on one side of rolled out top crust. Gently roll dough over rolling pin once.
- Carefully lift rolling pin and dough. Unroll dough over pie filling. Ease dough over filling with fingertips. Do not stretch dough.
Unroll dough over pie filling.
- Trim crust leaving 1/2-inch overhang. Fold overhang under bottom crust.
- To flute, place index finger on inside edge of rim, pointing toward outside of pie. Pinch crust into "V" shape between index finger and thumb. Repeat along entire edge of the pie.
Pinch crust into "V" shape.
Crumb crusts usually involve cookies or graham crackers. Learn more about them in the next section.
Not what you're looking for? Try these:
- Pie Recipes: From fruit to cream, the variety of pie recipes in our collection is sure to make your mouth water. Find the one (or several) you're looking for here.
- How to Make Pastries: Pastry dough can be temperamental to work with, to say the least. Find tips on how to work with it and make delicious pastries only at HowStuffWorks.
- How to Bake a Cake: Find basic instructions and definitions that will help you bake a cake in this article. You'll learn about everything from selecting the proper baking pan to cooling and frosting a finished cake.
- Cooking: Learn the ins and outs of some basic cooking techniques in this helpful article.