How to Make Pie Meringue
- Begin by separating egg yolks from egg whites. Gently tap egg in center against a hard surface, such as the side of bowl. Holding shell half in each hand, gently transfer yolk back and forth between the 2 shell halves. Allow white to drip down between the 2 halves into bowl.
Separate egg yolks from whites.
- When all the white has dripped into bowl, place yolk in another bowl. Transfer white to third bowl. Repeat with remaining eggs. Egg whites must be free from any egg yolk to reach proper volume when beaten.
- Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in clean large bowl. Beat with electric mixer at high speed until foamy. Gradually beat 1/4 cup granulated sugar until stiff peaks form.
Beat with electric mixer until foamy.
- After beaters are lifted from egg white mixture, stiff peaks should remain on top, and when bowl is tilted, mixture will not slide around.
Look for stiff peaks. Mixture should
not move when bowl is tilted.
- Spread meringue over pie filling with rubber spatula, making sure it completely covers filling and touches edge of crust.
- Create decorative peaks and swirls by twisting and lifting spatula while spreading meringue.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool completely on wire rack.
Now that you have the knowledge to make a variety of different pies, all you need is practice. Get baking!
Not what you're looking for? Try these:
- Pie Recipes: From fruit to cream, the variety of pie recipes in our collection is sure to make your mouth water. Find the one (or several) you're looking for here.
- How to Make Pastries: Pastry dough can be temperamental to work with, to say the least. Find tips on how to work with it and make delicious pastries only at HowStuffWorks.
- How to Bake a Cake: Find basic instructions and definitions that will help you bake a cake in this article. You'll learn about everything from selecting the proper baking pan to cooling and frosting a finished cake.
- Cooking: Learn the ins and outs of some basic cooking techniques in this helpful article.