Grape development is a generational thing, not only the way fine wines are passed down through families but also in the creation of a new grape, something that takes around 20 years for researchers to create and grow [source: McCandless]. So far, you've learned the influence climate has on wine -- specifically, how the Languedoc Roussillon's Mediterranean heat makes a strong grape. In this section, see how different varieties of grapes lead to different flavors and wines within the region.
The red wines of Languedoc include:
- Cabernet -- A strong, dense wine. If you like fruity wines, look for a Mas de Daumas Gassac Red, from the 1998 Vin de Pays d'Oc for a clear flavor of currants.
- Merlot -- A smooth, full-bodied wine. The Domaine de Aspes 2003 has notes of berries and earthy flavors -- even a touch of tar.
- Syrah/Shiraz -- Also smooth and rich, Syrah will give you a bit of a bite with its spiciness. A 2006 Domaine Saint Hubert Pic Saint Loup has earned critical attention. Look for herbs and licorice in its body.
- Pinot Noir -- This classy variety will most likely remind you of several different fruits and flavors. A good pick is the M&S Grenache Noir Vine de Pays des Cotes Catalanes [sources: Gassac, Reiss, Robinson, Walsh].
The white wines of Languedoc include:
- Sauvignon Blanc -- A high, crisp taste (imagine pastoral fields), this wine will carry its own distinct flavor by vintner. The Les Tours Sauvignon Blanc 2007 is popular.
- Chardonnay -- Light and crisp, other areas of France are revered for their varietals of this kind. Try the Les Coteaux de Neffies 2007 Vin de Pays d'Oc for a taste of lemon and ginger.
- Riesling -- This highly fruity wine can be served as a dessert wine.
- Pinot Grigio/ Pinot Gris -- This sipping wine evokes smoky flavors [sources: My Wines Direct, Stolarski, Wine.com].
For more wine-related information, visit the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Brown, Alan. "France's Hot South- Languedoc." Food and Wine. 10/04 (02/04/09)http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/frances-hot-south-the-languedoc
- Charles, Alex. "Explore the Very Best of Languedoc's Wines." Crème de Languedoc. (02/03/09) http://www.creme-de-languedoc.com/Languedoc/wine/index.php
- Crowe, Alison. "Your First Wine From Fresh Grapes." Wine Maker. (02/04/09) http://www.winemakermag.com/new/fresh
- Dictionary.com. "Languedoc." (02/03/09)http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Languedoc
- Discover France. "Languedoc Regional Info." (02/03/09) http://www.discoverfrance.com/regions/languedoc.html#history
- France Guide. "Languedoc Roussillon." (02/03/09) http://us.franceguide.com/destinations/france/regions/languedoc-roussillon/home.html?NodeID=180
- French Institute, the. "Wine Tour de France." (02/05/09)http://www.french-at-a-touch.com/French_Regions/Languedoc-Roussillon/languedoc-roussillon_11.htm
- French-At-A-Touch. "The Region of Languedoc-Roussillon." (02/05/09)http://www.french-at-a-touch.com/French_Regions/Languedoc-Roussillon/languedoc-roussillon_11.htm
- Holiday Weather. "France." (02/04/09)http://www.holiday-weather.com/country/france/index.html
- IMDB. "I Love Lucy- Lucy's Italian Movie." International Movie Database. (02/04/09) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0609295/
- Independent, the. The Complete Guide To: Languedoc Roussillon." 06/17/07 (02/04/09) http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/travel/the-complete-guide-to-languedoc-roussillon-454904.html
- Le Breton, Gabriella. "Languedoc: Walking with the Cathars." The Telegraph. 9/25/06 (02/03/09) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/activityandadventure/2797916/Languedoc-Walking-with-the-Cathars.html
- Lem, Winnie. "Cultivating Dissent." SUNY Books, Google Books. 05/99. (02/04/09) http://books.google.com/books?id=69-Od2EtWo4C&pg=PA179&lpg=PA179&dq=grape+harvest+in+languedoc&source=bl&ots=GY0QvfsOhA&sig=wAyWwrSv2xuGRSFUvxN3lgn4gDM&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result#PPR11,M1
- Leon Stolarski Fine Wines. "New Classic Wines from Regional France." http://www.lsfinewines.co.uk/acatalog/Languedoc_White_Wine.html
- Lonely Planet. "Central Languedoc." (02/03/09) http://www.lonelyplanet.com/shop_pickandmix/previews/lang-rouss-1-central-languedoc-preview.pdf
- Lonely Planet. "Introducing Carcassonne." (02/05/09) http://www.lonelyplanet.com/france/languedoc-roussillon/Carcassonne
- Macle, Diana. "France's Languedoc Wine Region Gets AOC Status." Wine Spectator.-1/11/08 (02/03/09)http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Features/0,1197,4210,00.html
- McCandless, Linda. "Cornell Names New Wine Grape 'Abundance.'" New York State Agricultural Experiment Station.02/20/03 (02/04/09) http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pubs/press/current/030221Abundance.html
- Merriam-Webster. "Appellation." Merriam-Webster.com (02/03/09)http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/appellation
- My Wines Direct. "Wine Guide: Grapes and Wine." (02/05/09)http://www.mywinesdirect.com/my-wine-guide/grape-varieties
- New York Times, the. "A Brief History of Wine." NYTimes.com 11/05/07 (02/03/09) http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/05/timestopics/topics-winehistory.html?_r=1
- Prial, Frank J. Wine Talk; France Feels The Heat Of Competition." New York Times, The. 07/11/01 (02/05/09) http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9405E2DD1E38F932A25754C0A9679C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all
- Reiss, Levi. "French Wine and Food." Escoffier Online.(02/05/09) http://escoffier.com/index.php/world-cuisines/i-love-french-wine-and-food-a-midi-merlot.html
- Robinson, Jancis. "100 Reds Worth Celebrating." 11/29/08 (02/03/09) http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/a20081129.html
- Robinson, Jancis. "Where to find value." (02/03/09) http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/a200901151.html
- Sherwood, Seth. "36 Hours in Toulouse." New York Times, The. (02/04/09)http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/guides/europe/france/languedoc-roussillon/overview.html
- Vinetude. "Grape Harvest Experience." (02/04/09)http://www.vinetude.com/pages/vendange.html
- Walsh, Gary. Domaine Saint Hubert Pic Saint Loup 2006." http://www.winefront.com.au/category/wine-reviews/languedoc/
- Wine. "Sauvignon Blanc. Wine.com (02/06/09)http://www.wine.com/v6/Languedoc-Roussillon/France-Other-regions/learnabout.aspx?region=7&appellation=51
- Wine. "Wine Basics." Wine.com (02/03/09)http://www.wine.com/v6/Languedoc-Roussillon/France-Other-regions/learnabout.aspx?region=7&appellation=513
- Wine and Oak. "The Wines of Mas de Daumas Gassac." (02/04/09) http://www.wineanorak.com/daumasgassac.htm
- Wine Rack Shop, The. "Starting a Grape Vineyard." The Wine Rack Shop. (02/04/09) http://www.winerackshop.com/vineyard.htm
- Woods, Martin. "Building Land for Sale in Antugnac- Languedoc Rousillon." Languedoc Land. (02/05/09)http://www.languedocland.com