Famous Wines of the Navarra Wine Region
For decades, Navarra's wine specialty was the rosé made from Garnacha grapes: a light, dry summer wine. As recently as the 1980s, the Garnacha variety alone took up 90 percent of the region's vineyard space [source: Voss]. Since the formation of EVENA, however, Navarra has become the first Spanish wine region to make a major commitment to what are now called "international" grape varieties [source: Alsop]. The red- and white-producing grapes include:
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Moscatel de Grano Menudo
- Malvasía [source: Navarra Bodegas Association]
A small handful of vintners lead the pack of Navarran wineries, including:
Bodegas Chivite -- This winery's labels proclaim a genealogy "from father to son since 1647" and has been in the wine export trade for more than 125 years [source: Hughes]. The firm commemorates this anniversary with its Colección 125 line of wines. Varieties of this line include the Vendimia Tardia, a world-class sweet Muscat; a superlative Chardonnay; and a red blend of Tempranillo mixed with Merlot and Cabernet. Chivite also markets a rosado called Gran Feudo [source: Savage].
Bodegas Ochoa --This winery claims a pedigree dating back to the 14th century [source: Bodegas Ochoa]. Javier Ochoa is a leading advocate for the region's vintners and a driving force behind EVENA. The Ochoa winery is small, but it manufactures the complete range of Navarra wines: red, white, rosado and Moscatel [source: Parode]. Ochoa's Tempranillo, Cabernet and Merlot varietals all age for one year in oak barrels.
Bodegas Viña Magaña -- This winery was among the first to experiment with clones of the international grape varieties in the 1970s and led the new generation of Navarra winemakers [source: Cervera].It produces Calchetas, Dignus and Barón de Magaña among others [source: Bodegas Viña Magaña].
There are many additional Navarra region wines to choose from, and the regional winemakers are aggressively courting the American market.
To learn more about the Navarra wine region and other wine-related topics, visit the links on the following page.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Alsop, Jonathon. "Spain's Navarra Region." Massachusetts' Beverage Business. (Accessed 02/13/09)http://www.beveragebusiness.com/departments/article.php?cid=1&eid=58&aid=735
- Bodegas Orchoa. "History." (Accessed 02/13/09)http://www.bodegasochoa.com/gb/framegb.html
- Bodegas Viña Magaña. "Our Wines." (Accessed 02/13/09)http://www.vinamagana.com/inicio.asp
- Cervera, Amaya. "Navarra: Great value for money." TodoVino. 02/28/05. (Accessed 02/13/09)http://www.todovino.co.uk/magazine/0502Navarra.html
- Dawes, Gerry. "The Ancient Kingdom of Navarra--Spain's Exciting New Wine Region." Wine News. Feb/Mar, 1998. (Accessed 02/13/09)http://www.thewinenews.com/febmar98/navarra.html
- Government of Navarra. "Origins of the Kingdom." (Accessed 02/13/09)http://www.navarra.es/home_en/Navarra/Asi+es+Navarra/Historia+y+cultura/Origenes+del+reino.htm
- Hughes, Natasha. "The Wines of Navarra." Wine-pages.com. 11/2007. (Accessed 02/13/09)http://www.wine-pages.com/guests/natasha/navarra-wine.htm
- Navarra Bodegas Association. "The Land and the Grapes." (Accessed 02/13/09)http://www.navarrawines.com/en/tierra_y_uvas_navarra.php
- Parode, Nancy. "Navarra Wine Region of Spain: History, Wines & Producers." Intowine.com. (Accessed 02/13/09)http://www.intowine.com/navarra-wine-region-spain-history-wines-producers
- San Fermín Guide. "The Running of the Bulls." (Accessed 02/13/09)http://www.sanfermin.com/old/guia/in_encierro1.shtml
- Savage, Helen. "Fruits of Navarra's superb climate." Journal Live. 11/28/08. (Accessed 02/13/09)http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-taste/wine-reviews/helen-savage/2008/11/28/fruits-of-navarra-s-superb-climate-61634-22357583
- The Ernest Hemingway Home & Museum. "Our Cats." (Accessed 02/13/09)http://www.hemingwayhome.com/HTML/our_cats.htm
- Voss, Roger. "Profile of Wine Region, Navarra." Cellar Tours. (Accessed 02/13/09)http://www.cellartours.com/spain/spanish-wine-regions/navarra.html
- Wein-plus. "Navarra." (Accessed February 11, 2009)http://www.wein-plus.com/spain_guide/D.O.+Navarra_A52.html
- Wilkinson, Isambard. "Anti-slip paint falls foul of Pamplona bull run fans." The Telegraph. 07/08/05. (Accessed 02/13/09)http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/1493647/Anti-slip-paint-falls-foul-of-Pamplona-bull-run-fans.html