The Rhône Valley wine region has many wines, including several with the Appellation d'Origine Controlee (AOC) designation. Here are a few of the major appellations that are considered the best:
- Côte Rôtie -- These wines are made mostly from the Rhône Valley's famous Syrah grape. These reds age well and are rich and beefy. Since it is considered one of the best wines, Côte Rôtie can be pricey.
- Hermitage -- Though mostly made from the Syrah grape, some white Hermitages come from other grapes. While similar to the Côte Rôtie, this red is richer, more complex, and ages better than the Côte Rôtie. Another Côte Rôtie similarity is the steep price.
- Condrieu -- Looking for a younger wine? Stick with Condrieu, a white that shouldn't age. This wine has apricot and peach flavors with a hint of floral aroma.
- Châteauneuf du Pape -- This area has both a red and a white wine that are made with a variety of grapes, typical of the Southern region. As mentioned previously, this wine can contain as many as 13 different grapes [sources: The Snob, The Wine Doctor].
You might also consider the Côtes du Rhône, a southern appellation that makes whites, reds and roses. There are some great gems hidden there, but with so many producers and wines, the quality can vary [source: The Snob].
For more wine-related information, check out the links on the following page.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- Adventure Wine. "Upcoming Adventures." (Accessed 2/2/09) http://www.adventurewine.com/upcoming_adventures.php
- Berberoglu, Hrayr. "The Best Kept French Wine Secret - The Rhône Valley." Food Reference. (Accessed 2/2/09) http://www.foodreference.com/html/artRhônewines.html
- Châteauneuf. "The Vineyard Throughout the Ages." (Accessed 2/2/09) http://www.Châteauneuf.com/english/
- Di Wine Taste. "Rhône Valley." March 2005. (Accessed 2/2/09) http://www.diwinetaste.com/dwt/en2005032.php
- Enterprises Rhône-Alpes International. "Agricultures and the Agri-food industries in Rhône-Alpes." (Accessed 2/2/09) http://www.investinra.com/medias/agrofood.pdf
- Liberty International. "The Rhône Valley." (Accessed 2/2/09) http://www.liberty-international.org/france/Rhône-valley/
- The Snob: 2B A Snob. "Rhône Valley." (Accessed 2/2/09) http://www.2basnob.com/Rhône-valley-wine.html
- The Wine Doctor. "Rhône Wine Guide." (Accessed 2/2/09) http://www.thewinedoctor.com/regionalguides/Rhône.shtml