DIY: the Gourmet Ketchup Kitchen
If you're an inventive home chef, you might go a step further and make your own ketchup from scratch. A simple recipe looks something like this:
Mix well and store in the refrigerator.
You can customize homemade ketchup, too. For a sweeter taste, add finely chopped or grated bell peppers or Vidalia onions. For something a bit hotter, add chile peppers or hot spices like ginger, cayenne pepper and allspice.
To bring out more complex flavors, make cooked ketchup. Start with whole tomatoes seeded and peeled, bring the mixture to a boil, and simmer for about 10 minutes. This can be refrigerated or processed in jars. If you're really impressed, write down the recipe. Someday, your ketchup could be the newest addition to the local gourmet shop or farmers market.
- Foodtimeline.org. "Ketchup." (May 28, 2010) http://foodtimeline.org/foodsauces.html#ketchup
- Gladwell, Malcolm. "The Ketchup Conundrum." The New Yorker. Sept. 6, 2004.http://www.gladwell.com/2004/2004_09_06_a_ketchup.html
- Muir, Glen. "Organic Tomato Ketchup: Nutrition Information." (May 28, 2010) http://muirglen.com/products/product_nutrition.aspx?upc=7-25342-48540-6
- Naturally Yours Grocery. "Products." (June 2, 2010) http://www.naturallyyoursgrocery.com/search_results.asp?ct=Products&site_search_qu=ketchup&storieID=268FD57EE5D3489B62FB67226651CA7
- Stonewall Kitchen. "Country Ketchup: Product Information." (May 29, 2010) http://stonewallkitchen.com/prdMoreInfo.aspx?SellGrp=CountryKetchup
- The Kroger Company. "Special Order Catalog: Condiments & Relish Brands." (June 2, 2010) http://kroger.elsstore.com/retailer_categories/10-condiments-relishes
- The Straight Dope. "Did the Reagan-era USDA really classify ketchup as a vegetable?" July 24, 2004. (May 28, 2010) http://thestraightdope.com/columns/read/2517/did-the-reagan-era-usda-really-classify-ketchup-as-a-vegetable
- Wolf, Burt. "Time to Play Ketchup: The Story of the Tomato." What We Eat. Acorn Associates, Ltd. 2002. (May 29, 2010) http://burtwolf.com/whatweeat/newsletters/Tomato.pdf
- Zonis, Stephanie. "A Fresh Look at Ketchup." TheNibble.com. October 2007. (May 28, 2010) http://thenibble.com/reviews/main/condiments/ketchup/ketchup-roundup.asp