Famous Wines of the Somontano Wine Region
The Somontano wine region has its hand in the production of many types of grapes. With their long history and strong grape growing climate, countless varieties of wine are bottled each year. As such, there isn't a particular wine that is strongly associated with this Spanish region.
Unlike many regions worldwide, Somontano has grapes that are indigenous to the area. These help produce the "rustic" wines that have been in the area since the early years of cultivation [source: Cellar Tours]. The grapes that originated in Somontano are the Moristel, Parraleta and Alcañón [source: Harley]. The first two are used for red wines while the latter produces whites.
Presently, many varieties of grape grow in the area. In addition to the indigenous varieties listed above, several other types of grapes -- other Spanish grapes and some foreign varieties -- are grown in Somontano. The possible combinations of these grapes are plentiful and therefore, Somontano provides the world with great variety.
Red grapes cultivated in Somontano include:
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Pinot Noir
White varieties grown in Somontano include:
- Garnacha Blanca
Before you book your flight to Somontano, visit the links below for additional wine-related information.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Cellar Notes. "Phylloxera." (Accessed 02/10/2009) http://www.cellarnotes.net/phylloxera.html
- Cellar Tours. "Profile of Wine Regions, Somontano: Wineries in Somontano Region. (Accessed 02/10/2009) http://www.cellartours.com/spain/spanish-wine-regions/somontano.html
- Costa Tropica. "Somontano, forgotten wine of Spain." (Accessed 02/10/2009) http://www.costatropicalnews.com/articles-on-the-costa-tropical/costa-tropical-andalucia-spain-food-drink/somontano-forgotten-wine-of-spain/
- DOSomontano. "D.O. Somontano." (Accessed 02/10/2009) http://www.dosomontano.com
- Espavino. "The wine region DO Somontano." (Accessed 02/09/2009) http://www.espavino.com/spain_wine_region/wines_somontano.php
- Harley, Hal. "Exploring wine - Somontano." Think Spain. Aug. 29, 2003. (Accessed 02/10/2009) http://www.thinkspain.com/news-spain/290
- NationMaster. "Somontano." (Accessed 02/09/2009) http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Somontano
- Somontano. "The wines of Denomination of Somotano's Origin." (Accessed 02/10/2009) http://www.somotano.org/en/turismo_cont_conoce.asp?m=vinos
- Spain. "Wine Routes - Somontano Wine Route." (Accessed 02/10/2009) http://www.spain.info/TourSpain/Rutas%20Vino/0/Ruta%20del%20vino%20de%20somontano?language=