How to Build a Wine Cellar
Sold on cellars? Now it's time to dig in and build your own. Since we've already given some thought to the space, lighting and humidity needs, let's go more in-depth, starting with materials.
Some woods, like cedar, have been known to affect wine's taste and shouldn't be used for cellar walls. Mahogany is a good choice and is a favorite among contractors in the business. If you're building your cellar from scratch, check out a design-your-own web program to help draft a plan [source: Vigilant].
You'll want to make sure to insulate your walls and seal your floors against moisture (never use carpet in your cellar), making sure the "R factor" (the ability to which the insulation works against heat) is at least 19 [source: National Insulation Association, Vinotemp]. Ask your home improvement professional for a recommended sealant, and test your walls and ceiling for airflow leaks before moving on. Vapor barriers help protect against temperature fluctuations and will keep your humidity at the recommended levels, as well as help with heat retardation.
When you're satisfied with the space you've created, you'll have to add the racking units and other accessories that make your cellar yours. Keep in mind that you'll need space to move around in and the ability to close doors, so utilizing the best rack for the job can make a big difference. Your racking should allow your bottles to rest at an angle that keeps part of the cork in contact with the liquid.
Now all that's left is a popped cork and a toast to your ingenuity!
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- "Asimov, Eric "To Study Wine, Buy and Drink." New York Times, The. 04/11/07. (01/31/09) http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/dining/11pour.html?_r=1
- Brack, Fred. "Building Your Own Wine Room." Bracksco Wine Nook. 2007. (01/31/09) http://www.bracksco.com/docs/BuildingAWineRoom.pdf
- Coy, Jeff. Deciphering Wine Lingo." Minneapolis St. Paul Magazine. 06/08 (01/31/09) http://www.mspmag.com/dining/winespirits/wineline/103815.asp
- "Design Your Wine Cellar." The Wine Rack Shop. (02/01/09) http://www.winerackshop.com/winecellar.htm
- "Design Your Own Wine Cellar." Vigilant. (02/01/09) http://wineracks.vigilantinc.com/dyo/?gclid=CM-uqbGSuZgCFQquGgodAEzvag
- "FAQ." National Insulation Association. (02/01/09)http://www.insulation.org/techs/faq.cfm#11
- "FAQ." The Wine Outfitters. (02/01/09)http://www.wineoutfitters.com/faq.htm
- "Finish." Wine Dictionary, Epicurious.com. (02/01/09) http://www.epicurious.com/tools/winedictionary/search?query=finish
- Fraser, Angela."Describe Why Food Spoils." Food Safety Site, Clemson University.2008 (01/31/09)http://www.foodsafetysite.com/educators/competencies/general/spoilage/spg1.html
- "How to Build A Wine Cellar." Vintage Cellars. (02/01/09). http://www.vintagecellars.com/howto.asp
- "How to Choose." Consumer Reports.12/08 (01/31/09) http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/kitchen-appliances/wine-chillers/wine-cellars/how-to-choose/wine-cellars-how-to-choose.htm
- "How Wine is Made." The Olive Garden. (01/31/09) http://www.olivegarden.com/wines/wine_basics/making_wine.asp
- "International Wine Accessories." International Wine Accessories. http://www.iwawine.com/orstore/searchresults.aspx?txtsearch=giftidea
- Nase, Joseph. "The Sommelier." New York Magazine. (01/31/09) http://nymag.com/restaurants/articles/wine/essentials/decanting.htm
- "Nose." Wine Dictionary, Epicuious.com (02/01/09)http://www.epicurious.com/tools/winedictionary/entry?id=7367
- Pandell, Alexander J. "Storage Temperature Affects the Aging of Wine." The Alchemists Wine Perspective. 2008. (01/31/09) http://www.wineperspective.com/STORAGE%20TEMPERATURE%20&%20AGING.htm
- Robinson, Jancis. "First Choose your Glass." Jancis Robinson. (01/31/09) http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/20070131_1.html
- Steiman, Harvey. "Holiday Gifts: The Wine Cellar Solution." Wine Spectator.10/27/08 (01/31/09) http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Blogs/Blog_Detail/0,4211,2168,00.html
- "The Wines: 2005 Vintage." Pax Wine Cellars. (01/31/09) http://www.paxwines.com/2005obsidian.html
- Vilim, Michael. "Mysterious Alchemy: The Aging of Wine." Wine and Food Foundation of Texas. (02/01/09)
- "Wine Cellar Design Services." Wine Enthusiast Catalog. (02/01/09) http://www.wineenthusiast.com/templates/cellardesign.asp
- "Wine Cellar Tips." Reader's Digest (01/31/09)http://www.readersdigest.com.au/food-and-recipes/wine-cellar-tips/article117772.html
- "Wonders of the World Wine Charms Set of 6." World Market. (01/31/09) http://22.214.171.124/kitchen-tabletop/Wine-Racks--Accessories/bar-accessories/China/Wonders-of-the-World-Wine-Charms-Set-of-6/lev/4/productId/5614/Ne/1100001/sectionId/2866/N/1100380+4294967242/categoryId/1100380/pCategoryId/1100379%204294967242/gpCategoryId/1100131%204294967242/Ns/TOP_SELLER_INDEX%7C1%7C%7CCATEGORY_SEQ_3081%7C0/index.pro
- "Words To Describe Wine." British Columbia Amateur Winemakers Association (02/01/09) http://www.bcawa.ca/winemaking/words.htm
- "Worthy Wine Chillers." Consumer Reports. 10/08 (01/31/09) http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/kitchen-appliances/wine-chillers/wine-cellars/overview/wine-cellars-ov.htm