To make these tasty gridiron treats extra easy, make the filling mixture ahead of time and shape, fill and bake when you are ready to serve.
Makes 8 calzones
|1||package (16 ounces) hot roll mix plus ingredients to prepare mix|
|1||pound hot or mild Italian sausage, casing removed, crumbled|
|1-1/2||cups chopped broccoli|
|1/4||cup chopped roasted red peppers* or pimiento|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|8||ounces (2 cups) shredded mozzarella cheese|
|Olive or vegetable oil|
*Look for roasted red peppers packed in cans or jars in the Italian food section of the supermarket.
- Prepare hot roll mix according to package directions. Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth, about 5 minutes. Cover loosely; let stand in bowl about 15 minutes.
- Cook sausage in large skillet over medium-high heat until browned. Drain on paper towels; discard all but 1 teaspoon drippings. Add broccoli to skillet; cook over medium heat 5 minutes. Add peppers and garlic; cook about 5 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Remove from heat. Stir in drained sausage and cheese.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease baking sheets.
- Roll dough on floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into 16 football shapes. Combine scraps and reroll dough if necessary. Place 8 football shapes on prepared baking sheets. Spoon about 1/3 cup sausage mixture on shapes on baking sheets. Top with remaining shapes; press edges with fork to seal. Using dough scraps, decorate to resemble football.
- Brush tops of footballs with oil. Cover loosely; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Refrigerate leftovers.
Check out more recipes for Fall and Thanksgiving