Forty-Clove Chicken Filice the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Forty-Clove Chicken Filice
Makes 4 to 6 servings
|1||(3-pound) frying chicken, cut into serving pieces|
|40||cloves garlic (about 2 heads*)|
|1/2||cup dry white wine|
|1/4||cup dry vermouth|
|1/4||cup olive oil|
|4||stalks celery, thickly sliced|
|2||tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley|
|2||teaspoons dried basil|
|1||teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed|
|Pinch of red pepper flakes|
|Salt and black pepper to taste|
*The whole garlic bulb is called a head.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place chicken, skin side up, in single layer in shallow baking pan; set aside.
- Peel whole heads of garlic; set aside.
- To prepare lemon, hold lemon in one hand. With other hand, remove colored portion of peel with vegetable peeler or zester into small bowl. To juice lemon, cut lemon in half on cutting board; with tip of knife, remove visible seeds. Using citrus reamer or squeezing tightly with hand, squeeze juice from lemon into small glass or dish; remove any remaining seeds from juice.
- Combine garlic, wine, vermouth, oil, celery, parsley, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes in medium bowl; mix thoroughly. Sprinkle garlic mixture over chicken. Place zest over and around chicken in pan; pour lemon juice over top of chicken. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Cover pan with foil. Bake 40 minutes.
- Remove foil; bake 15 minutes or until chicken is tender and juices run clear. Garnish as desired.
Check out more recipes for Italian