This recipe is featured in Katherine and Sophie's book "The Cupcake Diaries: Recipes and Memories from the Sisters of Georgetown Cupcake."
1 dozen cupcakes
|2-3/4||cups all-purpose flour|
|3||tablespoons ground ginger|
|2||teaspoons baking soda|
|1-1/2||teaspoons ground cinnamon|
|1/2||teaspoon ground cloves|
|1/2||teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|1-1/4||sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature|
|1||cup packed dark brown sugar|
|3||large eggs, at room temperature|
|1||cup of hot water|
|4||tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature|
|4||cups confectioner's sugar, sifted|
|1/4||teaspoon pure vanilla extract|
|6||ounces cream cheese, at room temperature|
|2||teaspoons ground cinnamon|
- Line a standard cupcake pan with 12 paper baking cups and preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sift together all dry ingredients and set aside.
- Cream together butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer on high speed, 3-5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating slowly after each addition. Add the molasses, mixing until well incorporated.
- Add one-third of the dry ingredients, followed by one-third of the water, and mix thoroughly. Repeat with an additional one-third of the dry ingredients and one-third of the water, and then with the final third of each.
- Scoop batter into cupcake pan using a standard size ice cream scoop.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Place all frosting ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until well combined. Frost cupcakes using a pastry bag fitted with a large tip, and decorate with a fondant gingerbread man or your favorite holiday decorations.
Check out more recipes for Christmas