Miss Georgia, Emily Cook, submitted this recipe for Dad's Shrimp and Grits.
|1||pound shrimp, peeled and deveined|
|5||slices smoked bacon, cut into pieces|
|4||tablespoons butter, divided (less if you're preparing for Miss America)|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|3||green onions, chopped|
|1||tsp. crushed red pepper|
|1/2||tsp. ground black pepper|
|1||cup quick-cooking grits|
|1/2||cup grated Parmesan cheese|
|1||large Vidalia onion, chopped|
|1||habanero pepper, seeded, finely chopped|
|2||tbsp chopped fresh parsley|
- Clean and rinse the shrimp, drain well, then add lime juice and set aside.
- Cut the corn kernels from the ear and set aside.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, cook the bacon. Remove the bacon and set aside. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings and reserve in the frying pan.
- In a sauce pan over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, but do not let the garlic turn brown.
- Add the half-and-half, chicken broth and water, and bring to a low boil. Add the reserved bacon and corn kernels, the green onions, red pepper and black pepper, then stir in the grits.
- Cook until the grits are done, adding more water as necessary for desired consistency. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Place the frying pan with the reserved bacon drippings over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until golden.
- Push the onion to the side and melt 2 tablespoons butter in the center of the pan.
- Add the habanero pepper and the shrimp with the lime juice.
- Toss until the shrimp are pink, and then toss with the parsley. Serve the shrimp mixture over the grits.
Check out more recipes for Southern