Ginger-Mint Stir-Fry Chicken
Makes 4 to 6 servings
|6||to 8 dried shiitake mushrooms (1/2 ounce)|
|2||tablespoons packed brown sugar|
|2||tablespoons fish sauce|
|2||tablespoons rice vinegar|
|4||to 6 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided|
|1-1/2||pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1/2-inch strips|
|1||or 2 jalapeño peppers,* seeded and chopped|
|2||tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger|
|3||cloves garlic, minced|
|1||can (5-1/2 ounces) whole baby corn, drained|
|4||green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|1/4||cup slivered fresh mint leaves|
|Red onion flower and mint leaves for garnish|
*Jalapeño peppers can sting and irritate the skin, so wear rubber gloves when handling peppers and do not touch your eyes.
**To make scalloped edges, use citrus stripper or grapefruit spoon to cut groove into carrot, from stem end to tip. Continue to cut grooves around carrot about 1/4 inch apart. Cut carrot crosswise into thin slices.
- Place mushrooms in bowl; cover with hot water. Let stand 30 minutes or until caps are soft. Drain mushrooms; squeeze out excess water. Remove and discard stems. Slice caps into thin strips.
- Prepare Fried Onions; set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, fish sauce and vinegar in small bowl; stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Heat wok or large skillet over high heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil and swirl to coat surface. Add 1/3 of chicken; stir-fry 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink in center. Transfer to bowl. Repeat with remaining chicken, adding 1 teaspoon oil with each batch to prevent sticking if necessary.
- Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to wok. Add jalapeño peppers, ginger and garlic; stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant but not browned.
- Add fish sauce mixture to wok; boil until reduced by half. Return chicken to wok. Add mushrooms, carrots, baby corn and green onions; stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Stir in mint. Transfer to serving platter and arrange Fried Onions around dish. Serve with rice and garnish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Asian