Gingerbread Caramel Corn
Makes about 10 cups caramel corn
|10||cups popped, lightly salted popcorn (about 2/3 cup unpopped or 1 package [3-1/2 ounces] microwave popcorn)|
|1||cup lightly salted roasted cashews (optional)|
|1||cup packed dark brown sugar|
|1/4||cup light corn syrup|
|1||teaspoon ground ginger|
|1||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/2||teaspoon baking soda|
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Line 17X11-inch shallow roasting pan with foil or use disposable foil roasting pan.
- Combine popcorn and cashews in prepared pan; set aside.
- Combine sugar, butter and syrup in heavy 1-1/2- or 2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Wash down sugar crystals with pastry brush, if necessary.
- Attach candy thermometer to side of pan, making sure bulb is submerged in sugar mixture but not touching bottom of pan. Continue boiling, without stirring, about 5 minutes or until sugar mixture reaches soft-crack stage (290°F) on candy thermometer. Remove from heat; stir in ginger, cinnamon and baking soda. Immediately drizzle sugar mixture slowly over popcorn mixture; stir until evenly coated.
- Bake 1 hour, stirring quickly every 15 minutes. Transfer to large baking sheet lined with foil; spread caramel corn in single layer. Cool completely, about 10 minutes. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
Check out more recipes for Snacks