Paul Petersen shares his tasty Grilled Romaine, Endive & Tomato Salad recipe. Petersen appears in 'BBQ Pitmasters' on TLC.
|4||Teaspoon fresh lemon juice|
|2||Tablespoon chopped fresh basil|
|1/4||cup sherry vinegar|
|1 1/2||cups extra-virgin olive oil|
|1||Teaspoon Dijon mustard|
|1||Tablespoon brown sugar|
|1/4||Teaspoon black pepper|
|4||large ripe tomatoes|
|4||heads Belgian endive|
|2||large heads romaine lettuce|
|1||small red onion, sliced thin|
|1/2||cup Point Reyes or other blue cheese, crumbled|
- Heat grill to about 450 degrees and oil the grates.
- Slice the tops and bottoms off the tomatoes, exposing the seeds.
- Cut the endive heads in half lengthwise; do not detach the base.
- Remove the thick outer leaves of the romaine, trim the tops a bit to neaten them, and then slice them in half lengthwise; do not detach the base.
- Season everything with salt and pepper, then coat lightly with some of the Lemon-Basil Vinaigrette.
- Grill the tomatoes first, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Then grill the endive about 1 minute on each side; don’t let them burn.
- Grill the romaine about 1 minute, cut side only.
- To serve, place 1 romaine half off center on each plate; place 2 tomato halves next to it.
- Lay 2 endive halves crosswise on top.
- Garnish with sliced red onion and crumbled blue cheese and drizzle with Lemon-Basil Vinaigrette.
Check out more recipes for Salads