Grilled Shrimp Creole the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Grilled Shrimp Creole
Makes 4 servings
|1/2||cup olive oil, divided|
|3||tablespoons balsamic or red wine vinegar|
|3||cloves garlic, minced and divided|
|1-1/2||pounds raw large shrimp, peeled and deveined|
|3||tablespoons all-purpose flour|
|1||medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped|
|1||medium onion, coarsely chopped|
|2||stalks celery, sliced|
|1||can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained|
|1-1/2||teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed|
|3/4||teaspoon hot pepper sauce|
|1||cup uncooked rice, preferably converted|
|1||can (about 14 ounces) chicken broth|
|1||can (15 ounces) red beans, rinsed and drained|
|1/4||cup chopped fresh parsley|
- Combine 1/4 cup oil, vinegar and 1 clove garlic in small bowl. Pour over shrimp; toss lightly to coat. Cover; marinate in refrigerator at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours, turning occasionally.
- For tomato sauce, heat remaining 1/4 cup oil in large skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour. Cook and stir until flour is dark golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Add bell pepper, onion, celery and remaining 2 cloves garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with juice, bay leaf, thyme and hot pepper sauce. Simmer, uncovered, 25 to 30 minutes or until sauce has thickened and vegetables are fork-tender, stirring occasionally.*
- Meanwhile, prepare grill for direct cooking. While coals are heating, prepare rice according to package directions, substituting broth for 1-3/4 cups water and omitting salt. Stir in beans during last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Drain shrimp; discard marinade. Place shrimp in grill basket or thread onto metal skewers. Place grill basket or skewers on grid. Grill shrimp, on uncovered grill, over medium coals 6 to 8 minutes or until shrimp are opaque, turning halfway through grilling time.
- Remove and discard bay leaf from tomato sauce. Arrange rice and beans on 4 serving plates; top with tomato sauce. Remove shrimp from grill basket or skewers. Arrange shrimp over tomato sauce. Sprinkle with parsley.
Check out more recipes for Southern