Grilled Summer Gazpacho the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Grilled Summer Gazpacho
Makes 6 servings
|1||red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and halved|
|4||large (about 2 pounds) tomatoes, tops removed|
|1||small onion, halved|
|Nonstick cooking spray|
|4||cloves garlic, divided|
|6||(1/2-inch) slices French bread|
|1||cup coarsely chopped peeled cucumber|
|1||cup day-old French bread cubes, soaked in water and squeezed dry|
|2||to 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro|
|2||tablespoons lemon juice|
|1||tablespoon olive oil|
|2||cups ice water|
|Additional cilantro leaves for garnish|
- Prepare coals for direct grilling. Grill bell pepper halves, skin side down, on covered grill over medium-hot coals 15 to 25 minutes or until skin is charred, without turning. Remove from grill and place in plastic bag until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Remove skin; set peppers aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, spray tomatoes and onion halves with cooking spray. Grill tomatoes and onion halves, skin side down, on covered grill over medium coals 10 to 20 minutes or until grillmarked and tender, turning as needed. Thread 3 garlic cloves onto water-soaked wooden skewer. Spray with cooking spray. Grill garlic on covered grill over medium coals about 8 minutes or until browned and tender. Remove vegetables from grill and let cool on cutting board.
- While vegetables cool, cut remaining garlic clove in half. Spray both sides of French bread slices with cooking spray; rub with garlic clove halves. Grill bread slices on both sides until toasted and golden, watching carefully. Cool; cut into 1/2-inch croutons and set aside for garnish.
- Gently squeeze cooled tomatoes to remove seeds and release skins. Scrape and discard any excess charring from onion. Coarsely chop bell pepper, tomatoes and onion; add with cucumber to food processor or blender. Cover and process until smooth. Transfer to large bowl.
- Add soaked bread cubes, chopped cilantro, lemon juice, oil and salt to food processor; cover and process until smooth. Combine with grilled vegetable mixture; stir in ice water. Ladle soup into bowls; garnish with garlic croutons and additional cilantro leaves, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Soups