Ham, Barley and Almond Bake
This one-dish meal showcases barley in a delicious mixture of veggies and herbs. Pair with a side salad of mixed leafy greens.
Makes 8 servings
|1/2||cup slivered almonds|
|1||tablespoon margarine or butter|
|1||cup uncooked barley|
|1||cup chopped carrots|
|1||bunch green onions, sliced|
|2||stalks celery, sliced|
|3||cloves garlic, minced|
|1||pound lean smoked ham, cubed|
|2||teaspoons dried basil|
|1||teaspoon dried oregano|
|1/4||teaspoon black pepper|
|2||cans (14 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth|
|1/2||pound fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 13X9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Spread almonds in single layer on baking sheet. Bake 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Set aside
- Melt margarine in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add barley, carrots, onions, celery and garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes or until onions are tender. Remove from heat. Stir in ham, toasted almonds, basil, oregano and pepper. Spoon into prepared dish.
- Place broth in medium saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Pour over barley mixture.
- Cover tightly with foil; bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven; stir in green beans. Bake, covered, 30 minutes or until barley is tender.
|Serving Size:||1/8 of total recipe|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Calories from Fat||32 %|
Check out more recipes for Pork