Hearts & Flowers Wedding Cake the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Hearts & Flowers Wedding Cake
Coordinate the frosting flowers on this gorgeous cake with the color scheme of the wedding.
Makes 100 to 120 servings
|1||recipe White Decorator's Icing|
|4||recipes Creamy Decorator's Frosting|
|Yellow and green paste food coloring|
|2||(12-inch) round cake layers|
|2||(10-inch) round cake layers|
|2||(8-inch) round cake layers|
|3||recipes Base Frosting|
|Paper heart pattern|
|2||large baking sheets|
|2||pastry bags with couplers|
|Tips: Numbers 2, 13, 15, 18, 22, 103, 124, 190, 225, and 352 or 67|
|1||(16-inch) round cake board, preferably 1/2-inch-thick plywood|
|Glossy white wrapping paper|
|3-1/2||feet white plastic-and-net cake ruffle|
|2||(10-inch) corrugated cardboard circles|
|15||to 18 (1/4-inch-thick) wood dowels|
|Paper beaded heart pattern|
|1||(5- to 6-inch) piece 1-inch-wide white ribbon|
- At least 1 week before wedding, make ornament for cake top by placing lattice heart pattern on parchment paper. Trace around pattern with pencil. Place parchment paper on baking sheet, making sure surface is perfectly flat. Pipe lattice to cover heart with White Decorator's Icing and number 18 tip.
- Pipe shells around edge of heart with same frosting and tip. Let dry at least 3 days. (Discard any remaining icing or make second ornament in case of breakage.)
- Tint about 7 cups Creamy Decorator's Frosting yellow. Pipe 5 to 8 small, 2 to 4 medium, and 3 to 6 large roses with yellow frosting, number 2, 103, and 124 tips, rose nail and 2-inch waxed paper squares. (It is best to pipe more roses than you need to allow for breakage.) Let roses dry 48 hours.
- Pipe about 70 to 100 drop flowers in different sizes onto baking sheet covered with waxed paper using yellow frosting and switching to tips 190 and 225. Pipe 1 dot in center of each drop flower with white Creamy Decorator's Frosting and number 2 tip. (It is best to pipe more drop flowers than you need to allow for breakage.) Let drop flowers dry at least 48 hours. (Cover and refrigerate remaining Creamy Decorator's Frosting.)
- The day before the wedding, assemble cake. Remove frosting from refrigerator. Let stand until of spreading consistency. Cover cake board with wrapping paper, taping securely in place. Trim tops of cakes.
- Place one 12-inch cake layer on prepared cake board. Frost top with about 1 cup reserved white frosting. Place second 12-inch cake on top. Frost top and sides with Base Frosting to seal in crumbs. Frost again with white frosting. Smooth frosting on top and sides. Carefully tuck edge of cake ruffle under edge of layers, curving ruffle around cake smoothly.
- Stack 10-inch cardboard circles and tape together to secure. Place one 10-inch cake layer on prepared cardboard. Frost top with about 3/4 cup white frosting. Place second 10-inch cake on top. Frost top and sides with Base Frosting to seal in crumbs. Frost again with white frosting. Smooth frosting on top and sides.
- Stack 8-inch cardboard circles and tape together to secure. Place one 8-inch cake layer on prepared cardboard. Frost top with about 1/2 cup white frosting. Place second 8-inch cake on top. Frost top and sides with remaining Base Frosting to seal in crumbs. Frost again with white frosting. Smooth frosting on top and sides.
- Carefully assemble 3 tiers with dowels, using shears to trim dowels.
- For hearts on cake sides, position beaded heart pattern a little above center of cake side on top tier and trace around it with toothpick. Carefully lift off pattern. Repeat to trace 4 more hearts evenly spaced around top tier about 5 inches apart, using tape measure as guide.
- On side of bottom tier, trace 5 beaded hearts aligned with hearts on top tier. On side of middle tier, trace 5 beaded hearts positioned halfway between hearts on other tiers. Pipe tiny beads to cover tracing line on each heart with white frosting and number 2 tip.
- For swags on cake sides, start at top right edge of 1 heart on top tier. Pipe swag to top left edge of next heart with white frosting and switching to number 103 tip. Repeat to pipe swags to join hearts on all tiers.
- Pipe top and bottom interlocking shell borders on all tiers with white frosting, using number 13 tip for top border of top tier, number 15 tip for bottom border of top tier and top border of middle tier, number 18 tip for bottom border of middle tier and top border of bottom tier, and number 22 tip for bottom border of bottom tier, switching tips with coupler.
- For cascades of flowers, pipe 1 star on back of each flower with white frosting and number 13 tip. On left side of top tier, position cluster of small roses and surround roses with small drop flowers, cascading drop flowers over border and down onto side angling toward right; carefully press flowers to secure.
- On middle tier, position cluster of small roses under heart on side of top tier and surround roses with small and large drop flowers, cascading drop flowers up side of top tier and about 2/3 down side of middle tier angling toward right; carefully press flowers to secure.
- On bottom tier, position cluster of medium roses to right of last cascade of flowers and surround roses with large and small drop flowers, cascading drop flowers about halfway down side of bottom tier angling toward right; carefully press flowers to secure. On cake board, position cluster of large roses to right of last cascade of flowers and surround roses with large and small drop flowers, cascading drop flowers a little up cake side and over side of cake board angling toward right. Carefully press flowers to secure.
- For cake top decoration, carefully peel parchment paper off dried lattice heart. Print names of bride and groom with black pen on white ribbon. Place ribbon on lattice heart, tucking ends into lattice and taping to secure.
- After cake is in position for wedding, cut notch about 1 inch long and 1/2 inch deep in center of cake top with paring knife. Pipe 2-inch diameter mound of frosting over notch with white frosting and number 22 tip. Carefully poke point of lattice heart through mound of frosting into notch, holding until secure. Pipe more white frosting around base of heart to help secure.
- Position large and small drop flowers in cascade pattern, starting around base of lattice heart and angling to right across cake top and over border onto side of top tier as shown in photo. Carefully position a few drop flowers angling up left side of lattice heart.
- Tint 3/4 cup white frosting green. Pipe leaves as desired with green frosting and number 352 tip. Angle leaves downward and primarily to right to maintain flow of design. (You may carefully lift off a few drop flowers to pipe leaves behind flowers. Gently reposition drop flower on top of leaf and press gently.)
Check out more recipes for Other Special Occasions