Hearty Pasta and Chickpea Chowder
Prep and Cook Time 30 minutes
Makes 6 servings (about 7 cups)
|6||ounces uncooked rotini pasta|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|3/4||cup chopped onion|
|1/2||cup thinly sliced carrot|
|1/2||cup chopped celery|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|1/4||cup all-purpose flour|
|1-1/2||teaspoons dried Italian seasoning|
|1/8||teaspoon red pepper flakes|
|1/8||teaspoon black pepper|
|2||cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth|
|1||can (19 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained|
|1||can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian-style stewed tomatoes|
|Grated Parmesan cheese|
- Cook rotini according to package directions. Rinse, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in 4-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook and stir over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Remove from heat. Stir in flour, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and black pepper until well blended. Gradually stir in broth. Return to heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in cooked pasta, chickpeas and tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, place bacon between double layer of paper towels on paper plate. Microwave on HIGH 5 to 6 minutes or until bacon is crisp. Drain and crumble.
- Sprinkle each serving with bacon and grated cheese. Serve immediately.
Serve with crusty bread, salad greens tossed with Italian dressing, and fruit cobbler.
|Calories from Fat||29 %|
|Total Fat||11 g|
Check out more recipes for Italian