Makes 6 servings
|1/2||cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch, divided|
|3||tablespoons dry sherry|
|3||tablespoons cider vinegar|
|3||tablespoons hoisin sauce|
|4||teaspoons soy sauce|
|2||teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules|
|1||broiler-fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut into pieces*|
|Vegetable oil for frying|
|2||teaspoons minced fresh ginger|
|2||medium yellow onions, chopped|
|8||ounces fresh broccoli, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|1||red or green pepper, chopped|
|2||cans (4 ounces each) whole button mushrooms, drained|
|Vermicelli (recipe follows, optional)|
|Additional red pepper, cut into strips, for garnish|
* Cut each drumstick, thigh and breast half into three pieces. Cut each wing into two pieces.
- Combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch, water, sherry vinegar, hoisin sauce, soy sauce and bouillon granules in small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Place remaining 1/2 cup cornstarch in large bowl. Add chicken pieces; stir to coat well.
- Pour oil into large skillet or wok to 1-inch depth. heat over high heat to 375°F. Add 1/3 of the chicken pieces, one at a time; cook until no longer pink in center, about 5 minutes. Drain chicken pieces on paper towels. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons oil from skillet. Add ginger to skillet; stir-fry 1 minute. Add onions, stir-fry 1 minute. Add broccoli, chopped bell pepper and mushrooms, stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Stir cornstarch mixture; add to skillet. Cook and stir until sauce boils and turns translucent. Return chicken to skillet. Cook and stir until chicken is thoroughly heated, about 2 minutes. Serve over hot vermicelli and grayish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Chinese