Holiday Stollen the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 2 braided loaves
|1-1/2||cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened|
|1/2||cup granulated sugar|
|Grated peel of 1 lemon|
|Grated peel of 1 orange|
|2-1/2||cups hot milk (120° to 130°F)|
|8||to 8-1/2 cups all-purpose flour|
|2||packages active dry yeast|
|1/2||cup golden raisins|
|1/2||cup candied orange peel|
|1/2||cup candied lemon peel|
|1/2||cup chopped red candied cherries|
|1/2||cup chopped green candied cherries|
|1/2||cup chopped almonds|
- Combine butter, egg yolks, granulated sugar, salt, lemon peel, orange peel and vanilla in large bowl; beat with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Slowly add milk; beat until well blended. Add 2 cups flour and yeast; mix well. When mixture is smooth, add enough remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough begins to pull away from side of bowl. Turn out dough onto lightly floured work surface; flatten slightly. Knead 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Mix raisins, candied orange and lemon peels, cherries and almonds in medium bowl; knead fruit mixture into dough.
- Shape dough into ball. Place in large greased bowl; turn dough over once to grease surface. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Grease 2 large baking sheets. Turn dough out onto floured work surface. Divide dough in half. Place one half back in bowl; cover and set aside. Cut remaining half into thirds. Roll each third into 12-inch rope. Place on prepared baking sheet. Braid ropes together. Repeat procedure with remaining dough.
- Brush beaten egg on braids. Let braids stand at room temperature about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake braids about 45 minutes or until golden brown and sound hollow when tapped. Remove to wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
Check out more recipes for European