Although tomato puree is a relatively easy food to prepare, these tips will make the food prep and storage process even simpler:
- Some cooks recommend boiling the puree and adding vinegar, salt or sugar for extra flavor.
- If you're roasting tomatoes, remember that the longer you roast them, the richer and thicker the flavor.
- Use ice cube trays to freeze tomato puree. Once frozen, you can take them out of the trays and store the cubes in plastic bags in your freezer. This way, you can use lots or just a few cubes depending on your dish.
- Don't refreeze a tomato puree.
- In a pinch at dinnertime? Tomato puree is a great base for lots of dishes. You can make a quick marinara sauce, tomato soup, curry or even a Bloody Mary from some tomato puree.
For lots more information on making tomato puree, visit the next page.