All pickled green tomatoes are not equal. There are various flavors, recipes and types of pickled green tomatoes. Try them all!
You don't just have to make sliced up pickled tomatoes. How about chopping them up into really tiny pieces and making a relish instead? You can use ingredients like apple cider vinegar, sugar, celery seed, bell peppers and onions to flavor the relish. If you like it spicy, add hot peppers.
For a more traditional pickle taste, add dill. Hate the taste of dill? Make bread-and-butter tomatoes, instead. They're much sweeter and many people prefer them on sandwiches.
Here's just a sampling of the many ingredients you can combine with your pickled green tomatoes:
- Vinegar (plain and apple cider)
- Brown sugar
- White sugar
- Pre-made pickling salt
- Mustard seed
- Sour cherries
- Chili peppers
And how do you serve your pickled green tomatoes? As a relish, they can top burgers and dogs. Thinly sliced, they can layer a sandwich. Or, cut them into quarters and serve them as an appetizer or snack. Some people swear by the combo of pickled green tomatoes and a pastrami sandwich. We've also heard pickled green tomatoes make a great garnish for a martini!
For more about tomatoes and other yummy foods, check out the links below. And happy pickling!
- Gitundu, Peter. "Green Tomato Pickles." Home Grown Tomatoes. Sept. 19, 2009. (Nov. 14, 2010) http://myhomegrowntomatoes.com/green-tomato-pickles/
- Goldwyn, Meathead. "No Fuss Kosher Dill Pickled Green Tomatoes." The Huffington Post. Oct. 8, 2010. (Nov. 14, 2010) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/pickled-green-tomatoes-recipe_b_754850.html
- "Pickled Green Tomatoes -- What do you eat them with?" Chowhound.com. March 11, 2008. (Nov. 14, 2010) http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/498226
- Vanderlinden, Colleen. "How to Ripen Green Tomatoes." PlanetGreen.com. Aug. 18, 2009. (Nov. 14, 2010) http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/ripen-green-tomatoes.html
- "What is Pickling?" Exploratorium.edu. 2010. (Nov. 14, 2010) http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/pickles/pickling.html