- Hold fruit in one hand. With the other hand, remove the colored portion of the peel.
- To make strips, use a vegetable peeler.
To make strips of zest,
use a vegetable peeler.
- To make smaller pieces of zest, use a zester.
For a more fine zest, use a zest.
- For especially fine pieces, grate the peel with a box grater.
For very fine zest, you
will need a box grater.
- Whatever method you use, be careful to remove only the outermost layer of peel and not any of the bitter, white pith.
Pitting a fruit can be a difficult task. Find out how to remove the pit of a nectarine in the next section.
Not what you're looking for? Try these:
- Cooking: Learn the ins and outs of some basic cooking techniques in this helpful article.
- Fruit Trees: Discover the wide variety of fruit trees and where they typically grow on our Fruit Trees page.