Indian Lamb Curry
Indian Lamb Curry
Episode 41: Nickella's Menu
|1 tablespoon||cumin seeds|
|1 teaspoon||fennel seeds|
|1 teaspoon||turmeric powder|
|1 teaspoon||curry powder|
|1 teaspoon||cayenne pepper|
|4 tablespoons||vegetable oil|
|1||onion, thinly sliced|
|3||garlic cloves, finely chopped|
|1 tablespoon||finely chopped peeled fresh ginger|
|2 pounds||leg of lamb, cut into 1 1/2-inch/4-cm cubes|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|2||tomatoes, finely diced|
|1||russet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes|
|2||carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks|
|1||celery stalk, cut crosswise into thick slices|
|2/3 cup||fresh peas|
|1/2 cup||unsweetened coconut milk|
|2 cups||fresh spinach leaves|
|Steamed basmati rice|
- Stir all the seeds in a heavy medium skillet over medium heat until fragrant and toasted, about 8 minutes. Cool.
- Crush the seeds with a mortar and pestle until they form a powder. Alternately, you can use a coffee grinder to grind the spices. Stir in the cayenne pepper, curry powder and turmeric. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion slices and sauté until they become pale golden brown, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender. Add the spice mixture and sauté for a further 2 minutes. Transfer the onion mixture to a bowl. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the same sauce pan over high heat.
- Sprinkle the lamb with salt and pepper. Add the lamb and cook until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Return the onion mixture to the pot. Stir in the tomatoes. Stir in the water.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer and continue to simmer over medium-low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add the potatoes, carrots and celery. If necessary, add more water to cover the meat and vegetables. Cook until the vegetables are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Add the peas. Season with salt and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables and meat are tender and the sauce coats thickens slightly. Add the spinach. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until the spinach wilts. Serve with rice.
Check out more recipes for Lamb