Italian Meatball Subs the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 4 servings
|Nonstick cooking spray|
|1/2||cup chopped onion|
|3||teaspoons finely chopped garlic, divided|
|1||can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian-style crushed tomatoes, undrained|
|2-1/2||teaspoons dried basil, divided|
|2||teaspoons dried oregano leaves, divided|
|3/4||teaspoon black pepper, divided|
|1/4||teaspoon red pepper flakes|
|1/2||pound 95% lean ground beef|
|1/3||cup chopped green onions|
|1/3||cup plain dry bread crumbs|
|1/4||cup chopped fresh parsley|
|2 tablespoons water|
|1/2||teaspoon dried marjoram leaves|
|1/2||teaspoon ground mustard|
|4||French bread rolls, warmed and cut in half lengthwise|
- Spray large nonstick saucepan with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat until hot. Add onion and 2 teaspoons garlic. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add tomatoes with juice, bay leaves, 2 teaspoons basil, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and red pepper flakes; cover. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Combine beef, green onions, bread crumbs, parsley, egg white, water, remaining 1 teaspoon garlic, 1/2 teaspoon basil, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, marjoram and mustard in medium bowl until well blended. Shape into 16 small meatballs.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat until hot. Add meatballs. Cook 5 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink in centers, turning occasionally.
- Add meatballs to tomato sauce. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place 4 meatballs in each roll. Spoon additional sauce over meatballs. Serve immediately.
|Serving Size:||1 sub sandwich (with 4 meatballs)|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Calories from Fat||30 %|
Check out more recipes for Italian