Jack-o'-Lantern Spinach Tarts the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Jack-o'-Lantern Spinach Tarts
Makes 32 tarts
|1||tablespoon olive oil|
|1||cup chopped yellow onions|
|1||tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce|
|1/4||teaspoon ground red pepper|
|6||ounces processed cheese, cut in 1-inch cubes|
|2||(10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry|
|2||refrigerated pie crusts|
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add onions and cook 3 minutes or until translucent, stirring frequently. Meanwhile, in 1-ounce jar, combine milk, flour, Worcestershire sauce, salt and ground red pepper; top with lid and shake vigorously.
- Reduce heat to medium; add milk mixture and cook and stir until well blended. Add cheese, stirring until melted. Stir in spinach until well blended; set aside.
- Place 1 pie crust dough on cutting board. Using 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out 24 rounds. Repeat with remaining pie crust dough.
- Using tip of very sharp knife, cut out 2 eyes, nose and mouth out of 16 of the rounds to make Jack-o'-lantern faces. Carefully remove centers and set aside. Reserve cut rounds. Place 32 uncut rounds in three 12-cup mini muffin pans, 1 round in each cup. Leave 4 sections empty. Spoon 1 tablespoon spinach mixture on top of each round. Top 16 of them with the cut-out Jack-o'-lantern rounds and the other 16 with the reserved centers, giving each 2 eyes, 1 nose and 1 mouth. Press dough down gently with fingertips to adhere.
- Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pans on wire racks 5 minutes; remove tarts to racks.
Check out more recipes for Halloween