Julekage the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 1 loaf
|1/4||cup warm water (105° to 115°F)|
|1||package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast|
|1/4||cup butter or margarine, melted and cooled|
|1||large egg, beaten|
|2-1/2||cups all-purpose flour|
|1||teaspoon ground cardamom or nutmeg|
|2||to 5 tablespoons evaporated or fresh milk|
|1||cup dark raisins|
|1/4||cup finely chopped candied citron|
|1||large egg yolk|
|2||tablespoons cold water|
- Combine water, 1 tablespoon of the sugar and yeast. Stir to dissolve yeast and let stand until bubbly, about 5 minutes. Blend melted butter and egg into yeast mixture.
- Fit processor with steel blade. Measure flour, remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, salt and cardamom into work bowl. Process until mixed, about 10 seconds. Add yeast mixture; process until blended, about 20 seconds.
- Turn on processor and very slowly drizzle just enough milk through feed tube so dough forms a ball that cleans the sides of the bowl. Process until ball turns around bowl about 25 times. Turn off processor and let dough stand 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn on processor and gradually drizzle in enough remaining milk to make dough soft, smooth and satiny but not sticky. Process until dough turns around bowl about 15 times.
- Turn dough onto lightly greased surface. Knead in raisins and citron. Shape into ball and place in lightly greased bowl, turning to grease all sides. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let stand in warm place (85°F) until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Roll or pat into circle 8 inches in diameter. Place in greased 9-inch round cake or pie pan. Brush with oil. Let stand in warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Beat egg yolk and cold water with fork; brush over bread. Bake until evenly browned, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from pan immediately. Cool on wire rack.
Check out more recipes for European