Lentil and Tomato Stuffed Peppers
Lentil and Tomato Stuffed Peppers from Hunt's® feature stuffed bell peppers with a tomato-vegetable-lentil filling, layered with mozzarella cheese. It makes an easy meatless entree that the whole family will enjoy.
Hands On: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
|PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray|
|1/2||cup dry brown lentils, picked over, rinsed|
|1/2||teaspoon dried thyme leaves|
|2||large green or yellow bell peppers|
|1/2||cup finely chopped yellow onion|
|1/2||cup finely chopped celery, including leaves|
|1||can (14.5 oz each) Hunt's® Petite Diced Tomatoes, undrained|
|1/4||teaspoon kosher salt|
|1/8||teaspoon ground black pepper|
|1||cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (1 cup = 4 oz)|
No dried thyme? Substitute 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning or poultry seasoning (both contain thyme) or 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 13x9-inch baking pan and medium skillet with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine lentils, water and thyme in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 15 minutes or until just tender. Drain; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cut bell peppers lengthwise through stem into halves. Remove seeds and membranes. Place peppers, cut-side down, in pan. Bake 15 minutes or until tender.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add onion and celery. Cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring several times. Add undrained tomatoes, cooked lentils, salt and black pepper. Bring to a simmer; keep warm over low heat.
- Turn pepper halves over. Place half of the tomato-lentil mixture in peppers. Top with half of the cheese. Add remaining tomato-lentil mixture and top with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes more to melt cheese.
|Serving Size:||1 half stuffed pepper|
|Total fat||5 g|
|Saturated fat||3 g|
|Dietary fiber||10 g|
|Vitamin A||18 %|
|Vitamin C||145 %|
Check out more recipes for Vegetarian