Makes 16 lollipops
|3||cups all-purpose flour|
|1||teaspoon baking powder|
|1-1/3||cups granulated sugar|
|1||cup butter, softened|
|2||ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted|
|Liquid or paste food coloring|
|Assorted decors (optional)|
*Available where cake decorating supplies are sold.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine flour and baking powder in small bowl. Beat sugar and butter in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy, scraping down side of bowl once. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well blended. Gradually add flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended, scraping down side of bowl once.
- Remove half of dough from bowl; form into disc. Wrap disc in plastic wrap; refrigerate while working with remaining half of dough. Add melted chocolate to remaining dough in bowl. Beat at low speed until well blended. Place chocolate dough on lightly floured surface; press into 6-inch square. Cut lengthwise into 4 equal strips. Cut crosswise into 4 equal strips to form 16 squares.
- Roll each square into a ball. Place balls 3 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Place craft stick under each ball. Press balls into 2-1/2-inch circles using lightly-floured bottom of drinking glass. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are set. Immediately remove cookies with spatula to wire racks; cool completely. Repeat with remaining colored and uncolored dough.
- To marbleize cookies, prepare Royal Icing. Divide icing among bowls. Tint with desired food coloring. (Liquid food coloring will thin frosting to the right consistency. If using paste colors, stir in water, 1 drop at a time, with spoon until slightly thickened.)
- Place large sheet of heavy-duty foil on counter. Place cookies on foil. Spread thin layer of icing on cookies to within 1/8 inch of edge. Dip spoon into contrasting color of icing. Drizzle or drop icing onto base color. Repeat with 1 or 2 more colors. Swirl colors with tip of toothpick. Do not over mix or colors will turn muddy. Decorate with candies or sprinkles while icing is still soft, if desired. Let stand 30 minutes or until icing is set.
- To add additional piped decorations, stir sifted powdered sugar into Royal Icing until thick enough to hold shape when dropped from spoon. Spoon icing into resealable freezer bag with one small corner cut off. Decorate as desired. Let cookies stand 1 hour or until piping is set.
- To assemble lollipops, prepare Decorator Frosting. Spread 1-1/2 tablespoons frosting on flat side of chocolate cookie to within 1/4 inch of edge with small spatula. Place vanilla cookie, flat-side down, on frosting. Gently press cookies together. Repeat. Let stand 20 minutes or until frosting is set. Store tightly covered at room temperature up to 2 weeks.
Check out more recipes for Cookies