Luscious Vegetarian Lasagna
Makes 6 to 8 servings
|8||ounces lasagna noodles|
|1||can (14-1/2 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped|
|1||can (12 ounces) tomato sauce|
|1||teaspoon dried oregano leaves|
|1||teaspoon dried basil|
|Dash black pepper|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|1||large onion, chopped|
|1-1/2||teaspoons minced garlic|
|2||small zucchini, diced|
|1||large carrot, diced|
|1||green bell pepper, diced|
|8||ounces mushrooms, sliced|
|2||cups 1% milk-fat cottage cheese|
|1||cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese|
|1||cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese|
|Parsley sprigs for garnish|
- Cook lasagna according to package directions; drain.
- Place tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, oregano, basil and black pepper in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, 6 to 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir onion and garlic until onion is golden. Add zucchini, carrot, bell pepper and mushrooms. Cook and stir 5 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir vegetables into tomato mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine cottage, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses in large bowl; blend well.
- Spoon about 1 cup sauce in bottom of 12X8-inch baking pan. Place a layer of noodles over sauce, then half the cheese mixture and half the remaining sauce. Repeat layers of noodles, cheese mixture and sauce.
- Bake lasagna 30 to 45 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley.
Other vegetables can be added or substituted for the ones listed above.
Check out more recipes for Italian