Mango Passion Fruit Cake Andrea Carusetta
Andrea Carusetta created this Mango Passion Fruit Cake recipe in the second season of TLC's 'Ultimate Cake Off'.
|3||large mangoes, peeled and chopped in small pieces|
|24||ounces cream cheese, softened to room temp.|
|1 1/4||cups granulated sugar|
|2||teaspoons pure vanilla extract|
|1||teaspoon finely grated orange zest (organic orange preferred)|
|2||cups all-purpose flour, sifted|
|1||tablespoon baking powder|
|1||teaspoon sea salt|
|1/2||cup unsalted sweet butter, softened to room temp|
|1 1/4||granulated sugar|
|2||large eggs (at room temp)|
|3/4||cup whole milk (at room temp)|
|1||teaspoon pure vanilla|
|1||teaspoon finely grated lemon zest|
|2 1/3||cup granulated sugar|
|Juice of 1/2 a lemon|
- Puree mangoes in the bowl of a food processor until completely smooth. Measure 2 1/4 cups mango puree, add orange zest and set aside. In mixer bowl with paddle attachment beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating until combined. Add 2 cups mango puree with orange zest and continue to mix on low speed until no streaks appear.
- Butter and flour a 10" round cake pan. Pour batter into pan. Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven until center is set (approximately 30-45 minutes). Cool to room temperature, remove from pan, wrap in plastic and refrigerate.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and set aside. Cream sugar and butter in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Beat until light and fluffy – approximately 3 minutes. On low speed add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add half of the flour mixture then half of the milk. Mix for 30 seconds with each addition. Add vanilla and lemon zest and then add remaining flour and milk - beat until smooth.
- Spread batter in two buttered and floured 10-inch round cake pans .Bake at 350° for 25 to 35 minutes, or until cake center springs back when lightly touched .
- Wash the fruit thoroughly. Cut in half and scoop out the fruit pulp and seeds. This will yield 1 and 1/3 cups of fruit pulp. Keep covered in the fridge.
- Take the shells and put in a bowl with 2 cups of warm water and let soak overnight in the refrigerator. Next day boil the shells for 10 minutes. Peel the outer skin of the shells off.
- Reserve the inner part of the shells and blend to a pulp in a food processor with 1/4 cup water. Return the blended pulp to a stainless steel pan and add the fruit pulp and seeds. This should make 2 and 1/3 cups of pulp, seeds and juice.
- Regardless, add an equivalent amount of sugar, juice of a 1/2 a lemon and lemon zest. Bring to a boil and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Now cool to room temp, then refrigerate, covered, in a glass jar until ready to use. This will keep for 2 months in the refrigerator and can be made in advance.
Check out more recipes for Cakes