Maple-Pumpkin-Pecan Twists the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 2 large twists
|1||can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin|
|7||to 8 cups all-purpose flour, divided|
|2||cups pecans, coarsely chopped|
|2||packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast|
|2||teaspoons maple flavoring, divided|
|6||to 8 tablespoons milk|
|2||cups powdered sugar|
- Heat pumpkin, water and shortening in medium saucepan over medium heat until shortening is melted and temperature reaches 120° to 130°F. Remove from heat.
- Combine 4 cups flour, pecans, sugar, yeast and salt in large bowl. Add pumpkin mixture, eggs and 1 teaspoon maple flavoring; beat vigorously 2 minutes. Add remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until dough begins to pull away from side of bowl. Turn out dough onto lightly floured work surface; flatten slightly. Knead 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding flour, if necessary, to prevent sticking. Shape dough into ball. Place in large, lightly greased bowl; turn dough over once to coat surface. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Turn out dough onto lightly greased work surface; divide into four pieces. Shape each piece into 24-inch-long rope. Twist two ropes together; shape into ring. Tuck ends under loaf to prevent untwisting. Place on lightly greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining two ropes. Cover; let rise in warm place 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Remove towel. Bake bread 25 minutes or until deep golden brown. Immediately remove bread from baking sheets and cool on wire rack 20 minutes.
- Combine remaining 1 teaspoon maple flavoring and 6 tablespoons milk in small bowl. Whisk milk mixture into powdered sugar in medium bowl. If icing is too thick, add remaining milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until of desired consistency. Drizzle over loaves.
Form the twisted ropes into a ring before baking for a pretty, wreath-like presentation.
Check out more recipes for Rolls & Buns