A classic thin crust pizza generously topped with tomatoes, thinly sliced fresh mozzarella and basil all drizzled with fruity olive oil
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 5 hours
2 pizzas; 8 servings (2 slices each)
|1||Pound frozen bread dough (1 lb = 1 loaf)|
|8||Ounce fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced, patted dry with paper towels|
|2||Tablespoon yellow cornmeal|
|2||Tablespoon all-purpose flour|
|1||pkg (2/3 oz each) fresh basil, leaves torn|
|1||can (28 oz each) Hunt's® Whole Peeled Tomatoes, drained|
|3||Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil|
|6||serving (1/3 sec spray) PAM® Olive Oil No-Stick Cooking Spray|
|1/8||teaspoon Fresh cracked black pepper|
Fresh pizza dough may be available in your market. Follow recommendations for handling dough accordingly. Many pizza pans tend to deflect the heat while baking resulting in a pale, underbaked crust. If possible, use dark pans. Or, if available, use perforated pizza pans to ensure a golden brown top and bottom crust. In a hurry? Use two ready-to-use thin crust pizza shells in place of frozen dough. Top as described above. Bake according to pizza shell package directions.
- Spray medium bowl with cooking spray; add frozen dough. Spray dough with cooking spray. Loosely cover bowl with plastic wrap. Place on counter for 4 to 5 hours or until dough doubles in size. (Time will vary depending on temperature of kitchen). Punch down dough.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place tomatoes in large strainer or colander placed in sink. Break tomatoes into bite-size chunks by hand. Continue draining tomatoes while working with dough.
- Spray two 12-inch pizza pans with cooking spray. Lightly sprinkle each with cornmeal; set aside. Cut dough in half. Dust work surface lightly with flour. Roll each piece into a 10-inch circle. Place each on a prepared pizza pan.
- Place tomato pieces evenly over both pieces of dough leaving about 1/2-inch of edge clear. Top each pizza equally with sliced mozzarella. Drizzle lightly with olive oil then season with fresh pepper.
- Place each pan on separate racks in oven. Bake 15 minutes; remove from oven. Quickly sprinkle each evenly with torn basil leaves. Rotate position of pizzas in oven. Bake another 5 to 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown on top AND bottom. Cut each pizza into 8 slices.
|Serving Size:||2 slices|
|Total Fat||11.6 g|
|Saturated Fat||3.2 g|
|Vitamin A||349.9 iu|
|Dietary Fiber||2.1 g|
|Vitamin C||8.9 mg|
Check out more recipes for Pizza