So after all that, would the best deal be some good old-fashioned Chinese food from the local takeout place? Yes and no. International is another area where prices can be deceiving.
Looking at Japanese fare, most would say sushi is worth the price. It has low food costs but high labor. After all, it takes talent and time to make the rolls; most people can't do this at home. But, where does the $6 edamame fit in? This popular side dish is oh-so-healthy, but restaurants buy a pound for under $2, boil the beans and add salt. So, when you get your 4 to 6 ounces (113 to 170 grams) of soybeans, remember that it cost the restaurant about 50 cents in food and labor.
If you love Chinese food, chicken-fried rice is probably on that list. What goes into a $7 to $9 bowl of this? Assume any restaurant is buying eggs, rice and oil in bulk. Add tiny bits of chicken, the cheaper veggies of the day, toss it all around and you've got your entrée. The better deal is the beef and broccoli stir-fry. It's more expensive but it's healthier and a better deal for your wallet.
Or go Mexican and consider guacamole. A guacamole chip and dip appetizer costs between $3 and $10, but the restaurant pays $1 for an avocado. They mash it up, add some spice and it's done. Remember, if you can do it quickly and easily at home, it's probably not worth the restaurant's price.
- Arumugam, Nadia. "Restaurant Foods that Are Ripping You Off." Forbes. October 19, 2011. (November 1, 2011). http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Restaurant-Foods-That-Are-xfoftp-1490202537.html
- Bockelman, Christine. "10 Things Your Restaurant Will Not Tell You." SmartMoney. March 29, 2007. (November 2, 2011). http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/102713/10-Things-Your-Restaurant-Will-Not-Tell-You
- Carter, Chelsea. "Say it ain't so for a cup of joe: Price of coffee beans climb." CNN. April 27, 2011. (November 4, 2011). http://www.cnn.com/2011/BUSINESS/04/27/coffee.cost/index.html
- CBSNews. "Five Leading Retail Rip-offs." March 30, 2009. (November 2, 2011). http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/30/earlyshow/living/ConsumerWatch/main4902625.shtml
- CBS New York. "NYC's 4 Most Expensive Restaurants." April 22, 2011. (November 8, 2011). http://newyork.cbslocal.com/guide/nycs-most-expensive-restaurants/
- Churchill, Landon. "The Real Cost of Breakfast." The Quizzical Brow. (November 15, 2011). http://thequizzicalbrow.com/costofbreakfast.aspx
- Crowe, Aaron. " 10 items with ludicrous mark-ups." MSNBC. (November 4, 2011). http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39490829/ns/business-personal_finance/
- Dobkin, Kelly. "The 10 Lamest Things You Can Order in a Restaurant." Zagat. (November 5, 2011). http://www.zagat.com/buzz/the-10-lamest-things-you-can-order-in-a-restaurant
- Dumas, Daisy. "Want to avoid restaurant menu rip-offs? Skip side dishes, order red meat and treat yourself to dessert." Dailymail. October 21, 2011. (November 7, 2011). http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2051952/Want-avoid-restaurant-menu-rip-offs-Skip-dishes-order-red-meat-treat-dessert.html#
- Forbes. "Restaurant Foods That Are Ripping You Off." (November 1, 2011). http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow/finance-restaurantripoffs/restaurant-foods-that-are-ripping-you-off/
- FoxNews. "The Hamburger Goes Hig- End." July 2, 2007. (November 8, 2011). http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287789,00.html
- Lassen, Mary. "After-Dinner Flare." AllBusiness. (November 2, 2011). http://www.allbusiness.com/retail-trade/eating-drinking-places/4177828-1.html
- Mealey, Lorri. "When to Use Market Price on Your Restaurant Menu." About.com Restauranting. (November 2, 2011). http://restaurants.about.com/od/menupricing/a/Market_Price.htm
- MSN: Your Money. "5 Ways Restaurants Get You to Spend." April 4, 2011. (November 1, 2011). http://money.msn.com/saving-money/5-ways-restaurants-get-you-to-spend-investopedia.aspx
- Poundstone, William. "How restaurants entice us into choosing expensive meals." The Guardian. January 20, 2010. (October 31, 2011). http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jan/21/menus-cunning-marketing-ploys
- TopTenz.net "Top 10 Biggest Price Markups." (November 7, 2011). http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-biggest-price-markups.php
Are you looking for some salad recipes that save you money? Check out this article and get 5 salad recipes that save you money.