The Ross School, a private school located in the Hamptons, New York, works with a dietician to make sure its students have healthy choices. Students in every grade take nutrition classes, as well as learn about food history. Students eat from plates and use metal (not plastic) flatware, bus their own tables and sort their own recycling.
The menu revolves around seasonal, local and organic ingredients. The school also serves breakfast. Sample menu items include steel cut oats, carrot and ginger soup, yogurt marinated chicken, cheese grits, kimchi and grilled fish. Vegetarian dishes are available each day, as well as fresh gourmet salads.
Students even work with local farmers, learning how to plant seeds, harvest and compost. Most importantly, knowing how to cook is a requirement for graduation.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Adams, Cecil. "Did the Reagan-era USDA really classify ketchup as a vegetable?" The Straight Dope. July 16, 2004. (July 7, 2009) http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2517/did-the-reagan-era-usda-really-classify-ketchup-as-a-vegetable
- Black, Jane. "Ky. Schools' Healthy Example Could Shape a National Policy." The Washington Post. June 29, 2009. (July 7, 2009) http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/28/AR2009062802929.html
- "Calendar." Sidwell Friends School. 2009. (July 7, 2009) http://www.sidwell.edu/calendars/index.asp?StartDate=6%2F1%2F2009&ModuleID=375&ClassID=&pageaction=ViewPublicBlock2
- Finz, Stacy. "The skinny on school lunches." California Alumni. May/June 2009. (July 7, 2009) http://www.alumni.berkeley.edu/California/200905/finz.asp
- Gavin, Mary L. "Vegetarianism." KidsHealth.org. Oct. 2008. (July 7, 2009) http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_fit/nutrition/vegetarianism.html
- Marcus, Mary Brophy. "Experts: Most type 2 diabetes can be stopped in childhood." USA Today. June 22, 2009. (July 7, 2009) http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-06-21-kids-diabetes_N.htm
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. "2007 Golden Carrot Award Winners. "Healthy School Lunches. 2008. (July 7, 2009) http://www.healthyschoollunches.org/carrot/07winners.cfm
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. "2008 School Lunch Report Card." Healthy School Lunches. 2008. (July 7, 2009) http://www.healthyschoollunches.org/reports/report2008_intro.cfm
- "School Food Service." The Kenton County School District. 2009. (July 7, 2009) http://www.kenton.k12.ky.us/foodservice/default.htm
- Severson, Kim. "Harlem School Introduces Children to Swiss Chard." New York Times. Sept. 9, 2005. (July 7, 2009) http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/09/nyregion/09promise.html
- Tarr, Amy and daSilva, Pia. "Part II - A Model That Works." StarChefs.com. Feb. 2005. (July 7, 2009) http://www.starchefs.com/features/editors_dish/obesity/part2/html/index.shtml
- "Wonder What the Obama Girls Are Having For Lunch?" iLunchBox.com. 2009. (July 7, 2009) http://www.ilunchbox.com/articles/wonder-what-the-obama-girls-are-having-for-lunch.php
Are you interested in the history of the lunch box? We've compiled this article just for you. Check out the history of the lunch box.