You don't need to completely ban red meat from your diet in order to stay fit. You just need to choose the right cuts. Lean cuts of beef have less saturated fat than a typical cut, and contain healthy amounts of protein, iron, zinc and vitamins. Flank steaks are both lean and economically priced.
Leaner cuts of beef cost less than richer, fattier cuts. However, there is a tradeoff. Leaner cuts have less flavor, with a tougher texture. The good news is, though, you don't have to suffer through tasteless, chewy beef. The correct cooking technique will render any lean flank steak delicious. Chefs recommend marinating the meat overnight before grilling or broiling. An acidic marinade -- something with vinegar or orange juice -- will actually break down some of that tough connective tissue. Your lean steak will end up as tasty as a more expensive filet.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- "Cooking May Enhance Nutrients in Tomatoes." American Dietetic Association. Jan. 3, 2006. (July 21, 2009) http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg/ada/hs.xsl/home_7632_ENU_HTML.htm
- Gorman, Rachael Moeller. "Fresh vs. Frozen Vegetables." Eating Well. 2009. (July 21, 2009) http://www.eatingwell.com/health/qanda/fresh_vs_frozen.html
- "Healthy Steak Recipes and Cooking Tips." Eating Well. 2009. (July 21, 2009) http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/collections/healthy_steak_recipes.html
- "It's Incredible." American Egg Board. 2007. (July 21, 2009) http://www.incredibleegg.org/health.html
- Magee, Elaine. "10 Healthy Foods Under $1." Good Housekeeping. 2008. (Jul. 21, 2009) http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/nutrition/10-healthy-foods-under-1-dollar-353932
- Magee, Elaine. "Cheap and Healthy: 15 Nutritious Foods for About $2." WebMD. 2008. (July 21, 2009) http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/cheap-healthy-15-nutritious-foods-about-2-dollars
- Ni, Maoshing. "The Healthy Benefits of Beans and Legumes." Yahoo! Health. April 14, 2007. (July 21, 2009) http://health.yahoo.com/experts/drmao/2964/the-healthy-benefits-of-beans-and-legumes/
- "The World's Healthiest Foods." WHFoods.com. 2009. (July 21, 2009) http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php
- Unterberger, Lindsey. "Road Test: Whole Wheat and Multigrain Pasta." Your Total Health. 2009. (July 21, 2009) http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/road-test-whole-wheat-multigrain-pasta.html
- Wadyka, Sally. "Healthy Food on the Cheap." MSN Health & Fitness. 2009. (July 21, 2009) http://health.msn.com/fitness/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100142373&page=1
- Watts, Merritt. "A dozen smart bites for under a buck." Self. Apr. 2009. (July 21, 2009) http://www.self.com/fooddiet/2009/04/inexpensive-healthy-foods
Are you looking for some salad recipes that save you money? Check out this article and get 5 salad recipes that save you money.