The tuna melt is a favorite comfort food and diner staple. It's also not the healthiest since it's loaded up with mayo-heavy tuna and cheese. But everybody knows tuna's cheap, so let's make this low-cost sandwich a little healthier:
Combine chunk light tuna (in water, not oil), light mayo, white beans, minced garlic and chopped red onion. Spread this mixture over whole wheat bread. Top with sliced tomatoes and perhaps some basil leaves. Placed the sandwich on a pan and press it down with a spatula until toasted.
For more healthy, budget-conscious food articles, check out the links below.
- "20 Cheap Heart-Healthy Dinner Ideas Under $3." Heart Healthy Living. 2009. (Oct. 8, 2011) http://www.hearthealthyonline.com/healthy-recipes/main-dish-recipes/cheap-dinner-ideas_ss1.html
- Amidor, Toby. "Shepherd's Pie, Lightened Up." FoodNetwork.com. 2011. (Oct. 8, 2011) http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/2009/02/02/healthy-shepherds-pie/
- "Apple Glazed Turkey." Better Homes and Gardens. 2011. (Oct. 8, 2011) http://www.bhg.com/recipe/turkey/apple-glazed-turkey/
- Bauer, Joy. "Joy Bauer's slimming chicken wraps." Today Health. April 5, 2010. (Oct. 8, 2011) http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/36149020/ns/today-today_health/t/joy-bauers-slimming-chicken-wraps/#.To5R1xVSncY
- Coleman, Ann. "Low-Cost Recipes from a Real Mom." DisneyFamily.com. 2011. (Oct. 8, 2011) http://family.go.com/food/pkg-low-cost-recipes-from-a-real-mom/
- Pratt, Rebecca. "Eating Healthy on a Budget." SparkPeople.com. 2011. (Oct. 8, 2011) http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=511
- "Smoky Corn and Black Bean Pizza." EatingWell.com. June/July 2006. (Oct. 8, 2011) http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/smoky_corn_black_bean_pizza.html
- Treuting, Jennifer. "11 Healthy Meals on a Budget." Delish. 2011. (Oct. 8, 2011) http://www.delish.com/recipes/cooking-recipes/budget-friendly-healthy-recipes
Are you looking for some salad recipes that save you money? Check out this article and get 5 salad recipes that save you money.