If you're tired of the standard green bean or squash casseroles, it's time to venture into the exciting world of corn bakes. Depending which recipe you choose, corn casserole is easy to make and requires only a few ingredients. Most standard recipes call for frozen or fresh corn, eggs, milk and sugar. More elaborate options include chopped vegetables like zucchini and red bell peppers to add a little extra oomph. Chicken and cheese can also be incorporated for a richer and more filling meal, though vegetarian versions are proven crowd-pleasers, as well.
Regardless if you want a cheap desert, a low-budget side dish or an inexpensive main course, corn's got you covered. Corn is as tasty to eat as it is versatile, so regardless if you're struggling to make ends meet or your savings account is stocked with extra zeros, this is one cheap food that deserves a place at your table.
- Eating Well. "Quick and Healthy Low Fat Recipes and Menus." Eating Well. 2011. (Oct. 7, 2011) http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/quick_healthy_lowfat_recipes
- Epicurious. "What to Cook Now: Corn." Epicurious. 2011. (Oct. 7, 2011) http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/seasonalcooking/summer/cooknow_corn
- Food Network. "5 Gluten-Free Flours to Try." Food Network. 2011. (Oct. 7, 2011) http://www.foodnetwork.com/holidays-and-parties/5-gluten-free-flours-to-try/index.html
- Food Network. "Eating Healthy in Summer." Food Network. 2011. (Oct. 7, 2011) http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy-eating/eating-healthy-in-summer/index.html
- Gourmet. "Corn Fritters." Epicurious. Sept. 2006. (Oct. 7, 2011) http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Corn-Fritters-235760
- History. "The Pilgrims' Menu." 2011. (Oct. 7, 2011) http://www.history.com/topics/thanksgiving-pilgrims-menu
- Manly Guest Contributor, a. "How to Make a Corn Cob Pipe." The Art of Manliness. 2010. (Oct. 7, 2011) http://artofmanliness.com/2010/08/09/how-to-make-a-corn-cob-pipe/
- Martha Stewart Living. "Corn Recipes." 2011. (Oct. 7, 2011) http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/corn-recipes
- Martha Stewart Living. "How to Cook Corn Like an Iowan." Martha Stewart Living. July 2010. (Oct. 7, 2011) http://www.marthastewart.com/272678/how-to-cook-corn-like-an-iowan
- Martha Stewart Living. "Popping Corn." Martha Stewart Living. 2011. (Oct. 7, 2011) http://www.marthastewart.com/267713/popping-corn
- Missouri Meerschaum Company, the. "History." 2011. (Oct. 11, 2011) http://www.corncobpipe.com/pages.php?pageid=4
- Steintrager, Megan O. "Around the World in 80 Dishes." Epicurious. 2011. (Oct. 7, 2011) http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/cuisines/aroundtheworldin80dishes/mexicotortillasrecipe
- Toilet Paper World. "History of Toilet Paper." Toilet Paper World. 2008. (Oct. 7, 2011) http://encyclopedia.toiletpaperworld.com/toilet-paper-history/history-of-toilet-paper
Are you looking for some salad recipes that save you money? Check out this article and get 5 salad recipes that save you money.