You'd be hard pressed to name a cuisine that doesn't utilize tomatoes in some way. It's the most versatile item from the garden and nothing beats the taste of a freshly picked tomato. But if you want year round tomatoes, lucky for you there are a variety you can get in a can. Your best bet is to keep on hand a mix of diced, crushed and whole tomatoes for a range of dishes. Of course, any of these will work if you have a cutting board and a knife, but it's handy to just dump it straight from the can into the pot. This is one pantry staple you can't live without.
Did you know? Cooked tomatoes are better for you than raw tomatoes because the heat increases the levels of antioxidants.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Alt, Tracy. "10 Pantry Staples to Make Quick Cooking Taste Like All Day Cooking." Menus4moms.com, 2009.http://www.menus4moms.com/articles/10_pantry_staples_for_quick_cooking.php
- Fernau, Karen. " Pantry must-haves to prevent those late-night takeout orders." Tucsoncitizen.com, October 9, 2007.http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/byauthor/65299
- Hanna, James. "Tips for a Good Spaghetti Sauce." Associatedcontent.com, December 5, 2006.http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/92537/tips_for_a_good_spaghetti_sauce.html?cat=22
- LoCicero, Joe. "10 Pantry Staples You Can't Do Without." Disney Family Food, 2009.http://family.go.com/food/article-62843-10-pantry-staples-you-can-t-do-without-t/
- "Pantry Staples List." Mealsmatter.org, 2009.http://www.mealsmatter.org/MealPlanning/Pantry/
- Parker-Pope, Tara. "Unlocking the Benefits of Garlic." The New York Times, June 19, 2009.http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/15/unlocking-the-benefits-of-garlic/
- Turner, Lisa. "The Top 10 Antioxidant Foods." Better Nutrition, January 2002http://www.crumcreek.com/library/antioxidant.html
- Zeratsky , Katherine. " What are the health benefits of olive oil? Is extra-virgin oil better than regular olive oil?" Mayoclinic.com, 2009. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/an01037
Home Made Simple recipes are tasty dishes that even the most amateur cook can prepare. Try these deliciously simple recipes from the Home Made Simple.