Established in 1938, Mother's is one of the most enduring restaurants in New Orleans. The charm of this place lies in its humble beginnings and history. It was owned by the same family up until 1986, when it was purchased by Jerry Amato. The eatery offers up signature New Orleans fare like jambalaya and shrimp creole, but the real draw of Mother's is the po' boy sandwich.
When you order a po' boy at Mother's, make sure to order it with "debris," the term the restaurant uses to describe the pieces of a roast or ham that fall into the gravy. Loved by the working-class, tourists and celebrities alike, Mother's always has a line out the door. Food is served up cafeteria-style without pretense, and you get a huge sandwich for the price.
For more on food and travel, check out the links below.
Sample Menu Items
- The "Ferdi Special" -- baked ham, roast beef, debris, gravy, with cabbage, pickles, mayo, and mustard, all piled into a length of crisp-crusted bread
- Roast beef po' boy with debris
- Seafood platter with soft shell crab
- "A Hot Doug's Primer." The Local Tourist. March 8, 2010. (March 16, 2011) http://www.thelocaltourist.com/blog/irving-parkavondale/hot-dougs-primer
- "Alinea." Frommer's. 2011. (March 16, 2011) http://www.frommers.com/destinations/chicago/D57172.html
- Bourdain, Anthony. "13 Places to Eat Before You Die." Men's Health. 2010. (March 16, 2011) http://www.menshealth.com/bestfoods/food_features/13_Places_to_Eat_Before_You_Die.php
- Bruni, Frank. "Momofuku Ko." New York Times. May 7, 2008. (March 16, 2011) http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/07/dining/reviews/07rest.html
- Dupleix, Jill. "Fine Dining Up the Eiffel Tower." The Sunday Times. Feb. 16, 2008. (March 16, 2011) http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/destinations/france/article3370246.ece
- "Grant Achatz: The Chef Who Lost His Sense Of Taste." NPR.org. March 3, 2011. (March 16, 2011) http://www.npr.org/2011/03/03/134195812/grant-achatz-the-chef-who-lost-his-sense-of-taste
- "Our Story." Katz's Deli. 2011. (March 16, 2011) http://www.katzdeli.com/presentation.html
- Porter, Carrie. "Denmark's Noma Named Best Restaurant in the World." ABC News. April 27, 2010. (March 16, 2011) http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/denmarks-noma-named-best-restaurant-world/story?id=10487815
- "Soyouwanna Get Into Rao's?" Soyouwanna.com. 2010. (March 16, 2011) http://www.soyouwanna.com/soyouwanna-raos-1489.html
- Tedmanson, Sophie. "Fat Duck demoted as Danish restaurant Noma named best in the world." The Sunday Times. April 27, 2010. (March 16, 2011) http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/article7109117.ece
- "Top 100 Bay Area Restaurants - French Laundry." SFGate. 2011. (March 16, 2011) http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/listings/restaurants/venuetop2010?vid=181618
- "Top Chefs Tokyo." Top Chefs and Food Trends. Dec. 3, 2008. (March 16, 2011) http://topchefs.blogspot.com/2008/12/top-chefs-tokyo.html
- Walden ten Bosch, Aydrean. "7 Most Mouth-Watering Hot Dogs Stands in America." Crispy Nuggets. March 7, 2011. (March 16, 2011) http://crispynuggets.com/top-lists/7-most-mouth-watering-hot-dog-stands-in-america
HowStuffWorks looks at why so many restaurants are so much louder nowadays.