Macaroni and Cheese
Macaroni and cheese might be the official meal of childhood. Countless boxes of unique shapes, flavors and cartoon mascots line the aisles of supermarkets across the country, angling for a place in the homes of families and in the bellies of children. Therefore, if you're trying to make macaroni and cheese for sophisticated adults, you should forget the box and start from scratch.
First, pick your cheese. The congealed, yellow mess that kids enjoy isn't going to work here. Lighter cheeses, like mozzarella and parmesan, are great choices that are reminiscent of those boxed ingredients kids adore, but have more depth and are much better tasting. You can also combine several stronger cheeses, such as Swiss and sharp cheddar or feta and blue cheese, for a flavorful meal.
Next, select your pasta. Just because you're making mac 'n' cheese doesn't mean you have to use macaroni. The distinctive snail-shaped lumache pasta, for example, can certainly class up the appearance of your meal, as can pizzocheri's hefty buckwheat ribbons.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Fanciulli, Jesse. "A Real Taste of Mexico." Greeley Tribune. 11/24/02. (10/29/09)http://www.greeleytribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20021124/WORLDSAPART/211240014
- Graber, Karen Hursh. "Wrap It Up: A Guide to Mexican Street Tacos - Part 1." Mexconnect. 01/01/06. (10/29/09).http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/2098-wrap-it-up-a-guide-to-mexican-street-tacos-part-i
- Mountain Manna. "Exotic Jellies." (10/29/09).http://mountainmanna.net/jellies.htm
- Perry, Charles. "A Stone-Age Snack - History: Pizza Topped with Tomatoes, Peperoni and Cheese is Only 100 Years Old, if That. But the Basic Idea of Pizza Actually Goes Back Thousands of Years." L.A. Times. 06/20/1991. (10/29/09).http://articles.latimes.com/1991-06-20/food/fo-1104_1_italian-pizza
- Spieler, Marlena. "Macaroni & Cheese." 2006. Chronicle Books, San Francisco.
- Werlin, Laura. "Great Grilled Cheese." 2004. Stewart, Tabori & Chang. New York.
Are you wondering who invented macaroni and cheese? Check out this article and learn who invented macaroni and cheese and more about this food.